Chia Crusted Einkorn Sourdough Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

4 Likes

Been a while since i’ve done einkorn. Need to revisit it again and this will be a good recipe to do so. Thank you Melissa.

Love the chia seed crust, I’ll have to get some chia seeds to try this out. Your method of getting the stenciled seeds on is great. I always struggle with how to hold the dough while moving it around in the tray of seeds. I like that you grabbed the dough along the seam, great idea, I’ll have to use that next time.

Lovely crumb given the amount of einkorn in the bread and really love the colour of the crumb too. Great bake Melissa.

I love the stenciling and the ease that you cut out the stencil. You must have cut out paper dolls and other patterns for your children. I’ve never used chia seeds and they are now on my list.
Richard

@Abe I hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it.
@Benito I wonder if you could grab the dough by the seam for baguettes or if they’re too narrow and long. It does work nicely for batards and this oblong shape aka “bagtard” (I have failed at making that term be in common use lol)
I did fold over the part I grabbed (it had stretched a little) when I laid the dough in the basket – kinda like stitching.
@evnpar I hope you enjoy chia seeds. They really do have a nice texture imo. Thanks for the fine motor skill props; I have extensive training with paper snowflakes, as a child and then as a parent :snowflake: :blush:

1 Like

Saw this recipe and couldn’t wait to try it! I forgot how sticky einkorn is but I had a lot of einkorn berries so this recipe was perfect! I usually refrigerate overnight but I didn’t have time so I baked same day I mixed it. I can’t wait to taste it later!

2 Likes

Yes, the dough was really sticky right up to the final shaping!
The stencil stuck to the bread, making the final design rather indistinguishable. Very nice ear with little crispy chias along the edge.

1 Like

@maynardskc and @cathrynk Wow, I love the batard shapes with the chia seed crust. Thank you for sharing your pics. It’s great that you both had the ingredients available and could try the recipe right away. Einkorn is indeed so sticky. It’s kinda like “golden rye” or maybe rye is “gray einkorn” LOL (Vastly different flavors and growing regions, of course.) Chilling the dough and lowering the hydration can help, and using bench knife and plenty of flour for the preshape.

Tweezers are helpful for removing the parchment stencil.

1 Like

Just put in an order:

Einkorn, Heritage Flour Mix (spelt, emmer & einkorn, with teff grain, sunflower, poppy and brown linseeds) and Emmer. Looking forward to trying your recipe. Can you also advise an Emmer Sourdough Recipe @Fermentada?

That looks like a lovely selection of flours. Here are some recipes with Emmer flour. The all whole grain emmer recipe has 75g honey and if I were to make it again, I would probably try it with 50-75g water instead. I don’t think there is much need for the sweetener, and the dough could use a little more hydration.

https://breadtopia.com/?s=emmer&post_type=post&posts_per_page=20

1 Like

Thank you @Fermentada. Looking forward to trying them.

Here’s that boule flower stencil baked up. Next time I would do fewer petals so there are more seeds in the center of the loaf.

4 Likes

Now isn’t that cool!
Richard

1 Like

Nice bloom! :rofl:

Love love love that way that opened up. Looks fantastic.

1 Like

I tried the recipe. Here are the photos. I made firm Levain build for use as starter dough making as it makes stronger sour taste. I like taste and crunch. I will get larger bag 15 to 20 kg bag of Einkorn wheat,.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

Which brand Einkorn are you all using and what is the protein percentage?

The Einkorn I have is Organic Stoneground Wholemeal and its 11% protein. My usual recipe for this flour is…

• 500g einkorn flour (100%)
  • 350g water (70%)
  • 10g salt (2%)
  • 100g starter (20%) but it is variable and the procedure the same

Mix into a sticky dough, cover and leave till very well risen, craggy on top and doesn’t resemble a dough anymore. More like a sponge! Portion out into a loaf pan and final proof till ready (like a rye) then bake.

The four I just ordered arrived a day after I needed another loaf so baked another rimacinata/bread flour mix sourdough in the meantime. Hope to start on this recipe in the middle of next week. Just interested in the einkorn you’re all using, how strong it is and how it handles.

I’ll try to find out the protein % of Breadtopia’s einkorn, which is what I use.
I also go with 70% hydration when doing all einkorn (below) and the texture you describe sounds like my experience at that hydration too so I’m guessing our flours are similar.