Canadian Butter Tarts

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

These sound great! I haven’t tried these, so this suggestion is based on my experience with other pastry type things, but give (whole grain) spelt a try some time when you’re making these. I find it has similar benefits to using a soft white wheat, with a little added flavor (but not the red wheat flavor).

1 Like

Butter tarts are the best. We like ours with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, or not. You are correct - good any time of day, the problem being eating them all! I love that your recipe is a pretty no nonsense version. It’s a no nonsense dessert here. Will try with freshly milled grain in the crust, I bet that is delicious.

1 Like

@ericjs I agree whole grain spelt flour would be tasty, and roll out easily too I bet.

@cfraenkel I’m on board with the idea of a dollop of fresh whipped cream – that sounds perfect. I hope you enjoy the freshmilled whole grain crust.

When I was a young girl visiting my grandma in Canada she would almost always have butter tarts to serve me with tea. Hers had raisins or currants. I was looking for a recipe to try them this year-thank you!

Hi for all! :v:

Butter tarts are such a Canadian classic!

1 Like