Can you Mill Tapioca Flour from Pearls?

From what I’ve looked up Minute Tapioca is par cooked so could not be used to make Tapioca Flour.

Also- from Mockmill, you cannot mill Tapioca Pearls but the Wondermill can- recommend you crack the grains in a blender. I used the smoothie attachment on my Ninja and then it went through the Wondermill on superfine, super quick.

Is that milled product from the Pearls the same as Tapioca Flour/Starch?

I could not find this answer anywhere online.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows. I was trying to make a quick (first time) Buckwheat Bread from a blog- meh…

@Benito I saw your 2022 Buckwheat Bread when searching to see if this question had been answered. You seemed underwhelmed by that loaf. Have you found a Buckwheat Bread that you liked better?

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Apparently the only difference is the grind so I would think you could mill tapioca pearls into flour.

Toasting buckwheat brings out all the flavour…

And one of my favourite ways to make buckwheat bread…

1 Like

Unless you’re buying sweetened bubble tea pearls, I think the simple white pearls are just a format of the tapioca starch/flour. No extra ingredients, so milling them would make flour. I buy tapioca starch/flour online (Terrasoul, Bob’s Red Mill, Anthony’s) and use it in Brazilian pao de queijo, a new Thanksgiving favorite for the past two years. I use this recipe, but with a lot more cheese Easy Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe (Pão de Queijo)

@pan4me I haven’t tried another mostly buckwheat bread since then. I have used Buckwheat in a loaf used as a tangzhong. Seeded Buckwheat Whole Wheat Sourdough Soy Milk Avocado Oil Bread. I quite like this one I made late in 2023. Nice sandwich loaf, toasting the buckwheat really brought out the nuttiness of the buckwheat and also brought a nice colour to the crumb.
Benny