Butterfly Pea Flower Swirl Sourdough Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

This looks like a fun bake. Would the dough fit in a 9 x 4 pullman pan?

I’ve never baked a bread flour/strong dough in a Pullman pan with the lid on. But I googled to see what others have done, and found this recipe that uses bread flour.

It actually also uses 400g flour – so I think the butterfly pea recipe is in the ballpark.

The big difference is that the butterfly pea flower dough is not enriched. It has a lot more oven spring potential. And I guess the lid will just keep it in check, but I don’t know.

Thanks! I bought lidless Pullmans so I’m not worried about oven spring. I’ll take a look at that sourdough pullman loaf recipe as well. I appreciate the help.

1 Like

Hi, this is a gorgeous bread but I’m having trouble. I made the tea using high quality organic tea which turned a deep indigo. But, when I added it to the organic flour and starter it quickly turned a soft shade of gray. Do you have any idea why the dough turned gray rather than purple? I used water filtered through a Berkey water filter.

Try making a more concentrated tea / using more flowers in the infusion. Make sure you press out all the juice from the flowers after the steeping.

According to my calculations this recipe calls for 81.5% hydration. That seems quite high and would make for a difficult to handle dough. It this correct?

The Breadtopia bread flour I used is 13.5% protein and the doughs were fine for maneuvering, layering and shaping. But if you’re using a lower protein bread flour, you may want to reduce the hydration a bit.

Thanks, I’ll probably need to adjust hydration downward for my Brand X flour. Especially since my calculations didn’t account for the additional hydration of the sourdough pre ferment.

I have one more question if you don’t mind. Have you or anyone else combined or rolled the two doughs together in a pinwheel spiral? I’m thinking that would look spectacular.

@Benito has made some of the most beautiful swirl breads I’ve ever seen. Maybe look over his methods and photos in this thread.

1 Like