Butter sour dough rolls

Very simple question ¿¿¿¿
My recipe calls for about a two hour first raise. Then a final shaped raise for about 90 mins. Can i slow ferment in the fridge for the final rise? Wouldn’t think it would be the first rise. Does dough need to be a certain temp before I bake?
Has 2 tsp yeast along with the starter

Generally speaking you can do either or both. Refrigeration (lowering the temperature) slows things down. If you read through the posts here, you will see that some refrigerate for all or part of the bulk (first rise), some for all or part of the after shape/before bake rise.

If I refrigerate a shaped whatever, I typically bake it cold out of the refrigerator. Vessel or stone and oven fully preheated, cold dough into/onto hot vessel or stone.

All of that said, since you’ve previously posted that you are new to bread and sourdough baking, I would advise making the recipe as written the first time. Since this has starter AND commercial yeast and an enriched dough (butter and I’m guessing sugar also), things are going to happen fast. The rise times as you noted are “about”/“approximately”. The recipe probably says “until doubled” or “30-50% rise” or whatever, i.e. some description of what the dough should look like. Pay more attention to what the recipe describes than time. If the recipe is on a site that has comments, read them all :slight_smile: … you will probably see times and results in a great range as well as other folks experience and thus have a better idea of what to look for.

If you end up loving this recipe and as you gain more experience, you can use starter only (maybe 60 grams more) and skip the commercial yeast if you’d like.

Thank you! I have read so much its become a jumble. Info helped :slight_smile:

I might be making a bad assumption here (most assumptions are :slight_smile: ) … however, I get the feeling that you have done all of this reading, bought stuff, have 2 starters going, are plotting to get more sour and here is the assumption … have not made a loaf of bread yet.

If that is the case, here is my un-asked for advice. Don’t forget all of the reading, but put it on the back burner.

Select a very basic bread recipe like the “No knead sourdough” on this site which has video!!! Read it carefully, take time to work through the timing in the recipe and plan timing at your house, i.e. start time and approx. times for when you are baking. Because it is a longer process, you want to start at a day/time when you are going to be around to completion.

The Kitchn: How to make sourdough bread with a link to making and maintaining starter.. This was my beginning recipe when it was first published several years ago. I had beginner’s luck, then some not so great loaves and then gradually learned what worked for me and my flours as I modified one thing at a time. For me, it was time … longer times of all phases.

At any rate, once you’ve made a basic white flour sourdough enough times that you are comfortable with the process and the result, then start experimenting with options like flour varieties, techniques for more sour and/or whatever.

Keep it simple, have fun, don’t sweat the details at this point in your learning experience.

End of sermon. :slight_smile:

Thank you :grin: