Breakfast Bites

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Funny story…I grabbed my autumn blend lentils instead of my tri color quinoa and didn’t even notice until it was finished cooking​:laughing:I went with it anyway even though the lentils were slightly undercooked. I used apple juice sweetened cranberries as the only fruit and omitted the coconut as my partner hates it :roll_eyes: I did use the discard as well. Very tasty :drooling_face:

Sounds delicious! Those look great and I love the idea of using lentils …with coconut :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for sleuthing out the recipe Melissa! I often hover near them on the shelf at Costco, but usually resist when I see the price. Now I can make my own!! Would love to use my mini muffin pan for the authentic shape, but alas it is not non-stick. Do you think I will have a problem with sticking? Plus, BTW, I love your photo sequences documenting the preparation steps. They are so helpful. I wish more recipe developers would do the same.

I made these this afternoon, using discarded starter as well as dried mango/peaches (my kids don’t like raisins), with a few leftover dates and a single apricot thrown in for good measure. My kids were skeptical (especially when saw me putting in quinoa and oatmeal) but my 14-year old told me, in great surprise, “hey, those were really good.” And I concur. Thanks so much! I also found it very simple to scoop these onto a parchment paper. They held their form and scooped/baked easily.

Yay! I’m glad this copycat recipe is something you and others are into, and that the play-by-play pics are helpful. If you have baking spray or grease the pans well, that might be enough to prevent sticking. Please report back how it goes if you give it a try. (Little cupcake liners would work too, but I personally find them tedious to fill.)

That’s awesome! My husband was also surprisingly into them. He doesn’t like sweets or breakfast all that much, and he starting bringing a few to work every morning. I’m glad the parchment/baking sheet method worked well for you too.

If making the GF option, what and how much do you use for the liquid ingredient to replace the discard?

There’s no need to add anything in place of the sourdough starter. The bites work without starter as a binder, and they are the ones depicted in the recipe photograph. (Actual Aussie bites do have rice flour in the ingredient list – if you wanted to try that for fun )

Thank you. I have saved the ingredients list from a package of Aussie Bites and have been meaning to work on a copycat for some time. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting for the rest of us. I am excited to try these.

1 Like

I have no idea what Costco’s Aussie Bites taste like as I never buy commercially prepared baked goods, but I just made Breadtopia’s version. Very tasty! My husband has quite a sweet tooth so I’ve been experimenting with sweet treats that are not in the junk food category. I followed the recipe, using sourdough, honey instead of maple syrup, and pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds. I would make these again!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe.

You/your husband might enjoy these cookies too. They’re not particularly low sugar, but they’re high fiber and nutrients compared with regular cookies–and you could reduce the sugar if you want.

Thank you for pointing out this granola cookie. But I’d have to leave out the chocolate and dried cherries —- he loves them and would not pace himself as he has been doing with the Breakfast Bites. :slight_smile:

I can relate. That’s me if there’s a bag of Kettle or Cape Cod brand potato chips in my house…or even someone else’s house :face_with_peeking_eye::grin: