Breadtopia grain corn

Can I use any of the grain corn for fresh milling to make cornbread?
I would like to mill the blue corn for cornbread—Is that an ok use? Or is it only for masa and the nixtimal process?
When I lived in New Mexico blue cornmeal was available everywhere and so good. I would love to bake with it again.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely. Try milling it in two passes: one coarse and the second pass, as fine as possible.

You can also use the corn in pasta and bread e.g. these recipes:

Edited to add this recipe too:

Thank you. I haven’t milled corn yet, so this will be good to have helpful tips. I love cornbread (who doesn’t) and want to try fresh milled corn. Wow pasta, too!
Kathy

1 Like

It’s great to see that Breadtopia has all of these new heirloom corn types (new since last time I looked). But how does their hardness compare to dent and flint corn? The manufacturer of my mill says it can mill dent but that flint is too hard for it, so I’ve been sticking to dent.

It seems to me this question is important enough to home millers that it warrants some kind of hardness assessment on the product page for every corn variety that doesn’t fall into the typical categories.

Which mill do you use? I have a Mockmill, and I know I shouldn’t mill popcorn in it, but I’ve milled niles red flint corn with no problems.

A Komo…Fidibus Classic, I think. Perhaps I could get away with grinding a certain amount of flint corn, but my inclination has been to play it safe. I’m sure it’s not going to flat out break the mill, but it’s going to be harder on it than the softer dent corn.

I did some research and any of the corn varieties Breadtopia carries can be milled in the Komo Classic, which has a 360W motor.

However, the Komo Fidibus 21, with its 250W motor, has restrictions on corn milling.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Melissa. Can you tell me how they compare roughly with flint or dent corn hardness? I’d still like to have a sense to make my own call about milling.

But I am revisiting whether I want to mill flint corn in my grinder. I’m not entirely sure where I got the idea that flint corn was not ok on my mill, whether it was from Komo, or the seller or what. I have to rely on Google translate translating the German of their web site, so it’s a bit hard to be sure, but it seems that currently they only proscribe against popcorn. It is possible I saw that and generalized that to flint, as popcorn is a type of flint. (I’m unable to find a definitive answer as to why many mills warn against popcorn. Candidate answers are oil content, moisture content, or hardness.) Anyway I wrote to Komo yesterday asking about flint corn, so we’ll see but I’m more than half expecting them to say it is fine.

Anyway, I appreciate the extra research you did.

I’m not sure if this link will work. If not, join the FB group Everything Mockmilled to read the thread about popcorn and milling. In short, though, popcorn is super hard.