Bread sticking to Romertopf

Lately I’ve encountered a problem removing the loaf from the Romertopf due to extreme sticking. Whereas the loaf used to slide out easily, it’s now very difficult to remove. I’ afraid to oil the Romertopf for the fear of burning the oil while it heats in the oven. Any ideas would be helpful!

Donna

I normally sprinkle some flour over the dough or use parchment paper to prevent sticking problem
A

You can also use some corn grits, coarse corn flour or semolina, but the parchment paper works really well too.

Thank you! One question, does the parchment paper burn at all at 450 degrees?

The parchment paper might darken, sometimes significantly, but I’ve never had it actually burn.

I always use parchment under my loaves in my clay bakers. The edges that stick out from under the lid will get dark, but they never burn. I preheat the oven with the bakers to 500F then reduce to 450F when I put the loaves into the bakers. I use the parchment as a sling to lower the loaves into the baker.

2 Likes

@Walter48 @DVanDusenRU Hi Walter and Donna! I use the parchment paper technique with every bake. Not only does that technique allow me to much more easily get my dough into my preheated clay baker without fear of burning my hands (or dropping dough onto the floor) but I never have to worry about my bread sticking to the baker. It’s a definite win-win for me. Yes, the parchment paper that sticks out from the baker does definitely get scorched a bit from the heat of a 500 degree oven BUT it certainly does NOT catch fire or “burn up”. It may get blackened and a bit crispy but you don’t have to worry about a fire. The paper inside the baker shows no ill effect from being in a hot oven. For me it’s a perfect solution.

Baking blessings,
Leah