Bread sticking to Proving basket liner

I too usually dust the dough as well as the bannetone So this wasn’t the issue

Fair enough, good point! Thanks.

1 Like

I thought of something else. I find using gram measurement is not the same as cup measurement.

g

Also recommend non glutinous rice flour.

The very large void usually happens when proofing time goes too long for that dough. Normally, gasses expand in very small pockets. As pockets grow in size, they eventually connect together. Continued to an extreme, they form one big pocket.

Also consider the temperature of the dough going into the fridge. Warm things going into a cool space will have moisture condensation, and that may be what is soaking the fabric. If some uncovered bench rest seems to be helping, perhaps you can do bench rest based on temperature instead of time. If you’re currently experiencing summer, the dough’s heat loss may be difficult to control. Another thing to try is placing in the fridge uncovered for some time, then cover. Essentially, do the uncovered bench rest in the fridge, perhaps for a shorter time. Good luck

Each time immediately after you’ve emptied the dough out of the proofing basket and the cloth liner is still damp, work rice flour into the cloth liner. I’ve been doing this for years and it works perfectly to prevent the dough from sticking.

Joseph - That sounds like a great idea. Does that mean that the next time you don’t flour the liner at all? Or just a light dusting?

Thank you so much. Some very sound and scientific advice. I have to totally agree Maybe if I’d sat and thought about it I might have come to the same conclusions…eventually :roll_eyes::rofl:. I’m going to take everything everyone has said on board. :crossed_fingers: fir this weeks bake

1 Like

I too am suggesting rice flour and hydrate a tad less :smile:

I hope it works out well whatever you bake, please post your results Jane.

Benny, the aliquot is an absolute game changer!! Sooo helpful. I did loads of baking at weekend and didn’t have to “guess” once. Also…I LOVE @foolproofbaking! I made her 50/50 wholewheat loaf and her bagels. Also made @theperfect loaf bagels too. Used rice flour in bannetone and no issues whatsoever, even with the high hydration of the bread. All in all…an EXTREMELY successful weekend​:yum::yum:

4 Likes

@janegove that is amazing. The crumb on your 50% whole wheat looks incredible and all the bagels look perfect. I’m so glad you had a look at both fullproofbaking as well as the perfect loaf. Both are excellent references that I have used and based so many breads on.

Also really happy you’ve used the aliquot jar, I knew it could help you as it has me.

The bagels are beautiful! How did you get them to brown so evenly?

I boiled them in malt syrup and also bicarbonate of soda. Think that helped.

What brand of malt syrup do you use?

Did you boil them twice, or put both malt and bicarbonate in the boiling water at the same time? Thanks!

Just put both in the same water bath and boil

Thanks - next batch I will try that for sure!