Bread Rising time/temperature

Does anybody have a way to find a temp/time equivalency when the room temp is cold?
For example, I have a recipe where I am trying where bulk fermatation is 3 hours in a room where the temp is supposed to be 74-76 degrees . My house ( in New England ) hardly if ever sees that and is at a constant ( more or less ) temp of 66-67. Obviously that means my bulk time will be longer and of course readiness of the this bulk will also depend on how the bread looks. But I would love to find a way to calculate my time/temps in my environment.
I do have a Raisenne dough riser which helps but : room temp is till cold and final proofing ( if done im the bamboo baskets ) can not be done on the heat warmer I assume ).

I tried leaving my levain on the Raisenne Dough riser for 2 hours before leaving the levain another 12 hours ( recipe called for 12 hours at 74-76 degrees ).

Thanks for all your thoughts…

I think your best bet is to give it a try and track time and then for your next bake you have at least one data point to extrapolate from.

I put my bannetons on the Raisenne if I’m in a rush, though generally I like cool or cold final proofs.

Hi Melissa,

How long would you suggest leaving the bannetons on the dough riser? Is there a limit before they burn?

And why do you like a cold proof?

Good suggestion about this bake being a data point.

Thanks again for such a quick response; I do appreciate it.

The Raisenne only gets up to 85F so I don’t think you need to worry about burning.

Cold dough is stiffer and easier to maneuver and score. This can be helpful with wetter or stickier dough.

1 Like