Bran Sifting and Soaking Experiment

Yes the bran sifted out by the #40 sieve was 9.5% of the total weight of the flour, much lower than what you got, at least I think my sieve is a #40.

Warthog mills very flaky in my experience and thus easy to capture in the sifter. I’ll have to track some other red wheats.

I’ve now done the sifting twice and the 9.5% was fairly consistent. I haven’t tried to sift other whole grains yet, but eventually I want to try this method on other grains.

1 Like

This post was started by Melissa based on a comment that I had made about soaking the bran in boiling water. I’ve since abandoned that method for a similar, slightly simpler one. I sift the milled flour through a #40 screen and triple mill it. I no longer use boiling water to soak the bran, instead I use some of the total water for the loaf to soak the bran while I do the stretch and folds. Instead of the 4th stretch and fold, I spread out the dough on the counter and spread the soaked bran over it, roll it up and then roll the roll into a snail shape, briefly kneading to incorporate the bran. I think the benefit of doing this is that the dough minus most of the bran and some of the water is fairly stiff and allows for better gluten development before adding the bran. I’ve been happy with the increased oven spring and more open crumb. I was intrigued to read about the similar technique of bassinage, holding back some water to be added later in the stretch and fold for better gluten development in a stiffer dough, described in the recipe for the Sourdough German Souls Bread.

FWIW, just a couple of minutes ago, I milled 550g wheat thru my Grainmaster on the finest setting. Sifted through a new #40 sieve. The result was 18 gramsof bran.