Bran Sifting and Soaking Experiment

Inspired by @wendyk320 in this forum post, I decided to do an experiment where I sifted some of the bran out of a whole grain flour, soaked the bran in boiling water, and add it back during mixing. I wanted to see how this approach compared with simply milling the flour into a bowl and mixing all the ingredients.

I picked warthog wheat because I’ve noticed it tends to mill with visible pieces of bran and I thought it might better show an impact of different treatment. I also enjoy the flavor!

The formula:
54% 215g bread flour
46% 185g whole grain warthog wheat flour
75% 300g water
20% 80g starter
2.1% 1.5 tsp salt

In the “sift and soak” dough, I used a 40 mesh sifter and removed 25g of bran. That’s 13.5% the weight of the warthog flour.

I poured 75g of boiling water on it, and set it aside while my starter ripened.
A few hours later, I added the bran-mush to the other ingredients. There was 158 grams of sifted warthog because I lost a bit to the floor during sifting.
I also made sure to use only 225g water because 75g water was already in with the bran.

At the same time, I also mixed up the all-in dough.

Here are the results inside and out. Sifted and soaked is on the right in both photos.

You can see that the oven spring and score bloom is more pronounced in the sifted and soaked loaf, but the crumb of the two loaves is about the same.

Of note is that fact that the time from mixing the doughs to putting them in the oven was almost 24 hours, due to a lot of cool fermenting. This is long enough that I would’ve thought time might have equalized any difference in softening of bran achieved through the hot water soak. Soaking still seems to have made a difference though.

I think these are interesting results and worth sharing. Maybe others will give the test a try. I’m calling it casual and not-conclusive, though, because the bulk ferment ending up getting staggered, most likely due to position in my cooler. I then had to stagger everything, which is complicated and tends to introduce unintended variables.

I also didn’t do a focused taste test. When linking to @wendyk320 's post above, I was reminded that she notices a texture-mouthfeel difference in her loaves when she sifts and soaks. I would have liked to assess that more thoughtfully. Flavor and texture differences didn’t jump out at me, perhaps because my doughs weren’t 100% whole grain.

Do you sift and soak? All whole grain wheats? Only some varieties?

1 Like

That’s so cool! Thanks for doing the side-by-side test! Now I’m inspired to try one myself.

Another thing I do is re-mill the sifted bran several times. I think, although am not sure, that re-milling also affects the final texture and rise of the bread. I’m surprised at how differently the bran of different grains mill. I use one local wheat in which the bran mills out in big flakes which remind me of shrimp shells, very thin and slick. The bran of other grains seems to mill up much finer. Just another of the infinite variables of bread baking.

I just noticed that your recipe uses slightly more than half bread flour. I wonder what effect that has on the results of soaking the bran, if it blunts the impact? I wonder if the difference would be more noticeable using 100% whole grain? OK, I’ll accept my own challenge and give it a shot next time I bake and let you know.

I’m also guessing the impact of sifting and soaking would be more pronounced with more whole-grain flour in the dough. Also as you wrote, depending on the wheat variety and how it mills.

I look forward to hearing about your tests. I may do another test at some point too.

Melissa, that’s an awful lot of bran (by percentage) to sift out with a #40 sieve. You must not be milling very finely. Or did you do that on purpose?

The result of this experiment surprises me a bit because I would have thought that the soaked bran would have reached some sort of moisture equilibrium with the sifted flour (ie as if it was never soaked) once it was reincorporated after a period of time.

However I wonder if the mere act of sifting the flour could have made the sifted loaf lighter. For example when making scones (or biscuits if you are in the US lol) the recipes will often recommend sifted flour to make them lighter and rise higher!

Maybe another thing would be to try sifting the bran and soaking it separately on the first loaf. Then for a second loaf sifting the flour as well and putting the bran back straight away without soaking it. That way both loaves are sifted but only one loaf has presoaked bran. Or is that actually what you did here?

Right? It was stones-knocking fine though. I purposely picked warthog because of how it mills: big visible bran pieces. Have you milled warthog and had a different experience?

Interesting point! Yes, sifting both but soaking only one’s bran would be a good experiment to test that.

You got me thinking, and I wonder if it could be the heat of the boiling water that has the impact? That calls for another experiment where I soak in room temp water vs. boiling.

1 Like

No, I’ve not tried Warthog. But to get the flour really fine pull the lever a notch or two closer once you pour in the grain. : )

Now the boiling water could really have made a big difference!

1 Like

I should add I milled yecora rojo on the same setting and got 5 grams of bran out of 185 grams of berries, 2.7%. Is that about what you get with 40-mesh and yecora rojo?

No, when I mill the Yecora Rojo from Breadtopia, I get about 0.5% bran sifting with a #40 mesh sieve. So I don’t bother now. : )

I think I need to mill and sift more aggressively, to see if I can get numbers like that!

The effect of soaked bran depend much (my opinion) on how fine the mill was set to.

Ytzhack Heber

1 Like

Melissa, you need a bowl your sifter can fit in a bit so you don’t lose so much flour! I shake sifter and bowl together, and sometimes use the dutch whisk to scrape the sifter and bran. And yes, the differing grains really do have a variety of bran amounts and fineness.

Yes indeed :slight_smile: I tried using a plastic bag too as per the recommendation of some in these forums. That helped.

Melissa, how developed was the dough when you added the bran back into it? I ask because I haven’t tried this comparison of a standard mix and a scalded bran added in later but have done the scalded bran added after good gluten development.
Benny

Not developed at all when I added the bran. I bet adding it after an hour or so could make a big difference. Did you like your results when you added it later?

1 Like

Yes so far it has worked quite well. I French folded the dough to at least moderate development and then added the scalded bran. The last 100% whole wheat sourdough hearth loaves I’ve posted I’ve used this method to good effect.
Benny

Cool, those are impressive loaves. Have you weighed how much bran you’re sifting out i.e. extraction of the flour you do the original mixing with?