Blueberry Miso Crumble Cake

To celebrate my 365 d fermented homemade red miso I decided to try something I’ve never done before. For ages I’ve seen recipes that use some miso in desserts so I decided to make this crumble cake that uses miso in the crumble topping. Instead of the white miso is substituted my red miso and because it is much stronger than white I used only 2 tbsp of it in the crumble topping.

If you’re curious about how to make miso from scratch this is the link to my post from a year ago.

CRUMBLE

¾ cup (94 g) whole wheat flour

½ cup (packed; 100 g) light brown sugar

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

3 Tbsp. white miso

CAKE

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled, plus more for pan

1¾ cups (219 g) whole wheat flour, plus more for pan

1½ tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. kosher salt

¼ tsp. baking soda

2 large eggs

1 cup (packed; 200 g) light brown sugar

1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 pint blueberries

(Zest of 1 lemon - my addition)

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: A 9"- spring form pan

CRUMBLE Mix whole wheat flour, brown sugar, butter, and miso in a small bowl to combine. Set aside.

CAKE Preheat oven to 350°. Butter pan, then lightly dust with whole wheat flour, tapping out excess. Whisk baking powder, salt, baking soda, and 1¾ cups whole wheat flour in a large bowl to combine. Whisk eggs, brown sugar, and yogurt in a medium bowl to combine. Add vanilla and 1 cup butter; whisk just to incorporate. Using a rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix, then gently fold in blueberries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly. Top with reserved crumble.

Bake cake, checking after 30 minutes and tenting with foil if crumble is getting very dark (some color is fine), until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 60–70 minutes. Let cake cool in pan at least 2 hours (so it firms up and is easier to slice).

DO AHEAD: Cake can be baked 3 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.

For some reason I wasn’t expecting such a closed crumb, which is odd considering it has 100% whole red fife in it LOL. I would probably sub in some pastry/cake flour next time to lighten it a bit. However, the flavour of the cake is excellent. Our friends loved the salty sweet aspect of the crumble and said it balanced the blueberry coffee cake like flavor of the cake itself. No one could guess what the mystery ingredient was. It is good enough to bake again but with a slight change to the flours to improve the crumb. All in all an interesting way to celebrate my 365 d fermented homemade miso with an unusual dessert bake.

2 Likes

Never seen miso used this way but why not? Very nice, Benny. Now you’ve got me thinking… Since miso is salty it should go very well with chocolate.

1 Like

Yes I have a few recipes for chocolate miso cakes saved that I want to try as well Abe.

Wow, what a creative way to celebrate your homemade red miso’s 365-day fermentation! Using it in a crumble cake is truly unique, and I love that you shared your experience with substituting red miso for white miso. The combination of the salty-sweet crumble and the blueberry coffee cake flavor sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing this intriguing dessert idea – I might have to give it a try myself!

1 Like

Thank you very much, the cake was yummy and I’m still making miso at home. If you like miso give this cake a try.
Benny