Better Best Blueberry (and Raspberry) Muffins

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

I will make these up for my Life Partner, knowing that these are going to be such a ‘Home Run’ for the two of us… even though some here in the Americas are trying to come out into the Sun to sanitize, we still remain skeptical of many within the outer community at large… sending Love and Light to All and Happy Mothers Day to those who are Mothers!
Very Grateful for all that is here within this Organization, has helped to keep the sanity within this Family Unit :~)

Happy Mother’s Day to you too. The Breadtopia community and baking are indeed wonderful for the heart and soul. I hope you and your partner enjoy the muffins.

Yum! I did not have the bolted flour called for, and used 230g KA AP flour and 50g KA sprouted wheat flour instead. If I make them again, I might try a little more of the wheat flour. I also went light on the starter and lemon zest as tangy pastries are not my favorite. They just finished cooling, and after my first bite I think they might be one of the best non-bread things I have ever baked! Something about the flavor is almost reminiscent of a corn muffin (could be the butter) which I found to be delicious. The crumb was light, and the sprinkle of sugar on top made a delightful thin crust. I made 12 muffins and baked for 30 minutes. Thank you Melissa!

One question- for how long do you think they could be stored at room temperature? Love the tip about the inverted bowl!

Beautiful! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the muffins, and good job on the personalization of the recipe.

I think you can get around 3 days at room temp unless you’re in a very warm/humid environment.

I made this in a loaf pan, with a combination of raspberries and chocolate chips. Tasty.
Baked at 350F for about an hour.

20211021_121508

The recipe makes 9 muffins in big-muffin tins, baked 375F for 32 minutes.

I used frozen mixed berries that I microwaved on low power to partially defrost. I was worried that the large blackberries would be problematic if I left them frozen. The muffins are darker because of the runny berry juice that got mixed in, but this juiciness didn’t cause any baking texture issues.

These look great! Any tips on making with only natural fermentation (sourdough starter) and no baking powder/soda/other leavener?

What a neat idea! I think I would mix up all the ingredients (with sourdough starter minus the chemical leavener) and then pour the batter into the muffin cups and let it rise / bubble for a few hours before baking. The amount of time for the bubbling would be dependent on the amount of starter you use and the ambient temperature.

If you use just a little bit of starter make sure it’s thoroughly mixed in so that every individual muffin has some microbes. And if you use a lot of starter, try to account for it by subtracting some flour and liquid from the recipe.