Best color for bread

Hi there, I’ve been making sourdough bread for about six months now So I’m still very much a novice. Well my bread is looking better and better with each bake, I have a question about the color. Usually I don’t put a lot of whole wheat in my recipes but opt for mostly white flour. For today’s bake I used 900 grams bread flour and 100 grams whole wheat. I bake my loaves 20 covered and 10-15 uncovered for long loves and 20 minutes uncovered for boules.

I prefer eating a loaf of bread that is lighter in color but I’m wondering if I’m taking it out too soon because I’m missing that crispy crust that I’m seeing on this site. I use a Spun Iron Bread Cloche sold on this site as well as a Dutch oven but still am missing that crunch. Here are some

recent pictures. I baked 4 loaves today.

WOW! Your crumb looks fantastic!

Baker’s choice, but I typically bake at 500 for 10 plus min (covered baker), then 20 minutes at 450-475 covered, then 10 minutes uncovered.

You will need to experiment in your conditions and for your preferences but I have found that a longer time covered and a last short time uncovered gives me both crust and crumb that I like.

Thank you so much Liz!! I’ll definitely try your timing this week and report back. :blush:

1 Like

I can’t wait to see how things come out for you! But please know … “perfect” is what is perfect for you :slight_smile: It is easy to get caught up in the “but the cool bakers are doing it” thing, but when all is said and done, it is what YOU want which is part of the reason for baking yourself vs buying from a bakery.

2 Likes

I love the bread in its natural colour. But there are breads according to the week days. Colour of the bread in the picture is looking very good.

Wow ok. :slight_smile: here is my new bread with your baking specifications. It’s lovely. Thank you Liz for your help!

1 Like

Heather, I’m happy the bake worked for you - beautiful! I do like the darker color, my own preference :slight_smile: