Benefits of grinding my own flour

Does grinding my own flour make the bread taste better?

Yes, it does.

Well I don’t grind my own grain but I do crush my own grain for beer and it does make a difference compared to old crushed malt so I imagine the same would be true for flour. Once the shell is removed it starts to get oxygenated and tastes like cardboard. Since I’m not set up to grind grains for flour although I could but my mill is dialed in for malt. I don’t have a source of whole berries. I always look at the dates on the bags and get the freshest you can find. There are places that will grind to order as well

When I make my whole wheat bread I grind wheat myself and use it fresh, the bread tastes much better than bread made using commercial whole wheat flour.

Also grinding your own grains will help with storage. Stone ground flours will spoil if not refrigerated or frozen. The grains keep nicely in a bin and you can just grind as much flour as you need. I got a Mockmill because I was baking with Einkorn a lot and it makes life so much easier to not have to worry about freezing the flour. I grind other grains now as well and it is so much fun and fast and easy. I think it also might have more nutrition, but I have no evidence of this.

1 Like

I am about to purchase my first Mockmill. I am lean toward the Mockmill Lino because I like the look of wood,
What wheat berries do you select for recipes calling for bread flour,