Being methodical VS winging it

I have to admit, lately I haven’t been weighing or measuring my flour and water. For the past many years I faithfully did. But lately I’ve just been going by feel and the nature of the flour. Occasionally I blow it, usually by overhydrating making it tough to get a formed loaf, but I have more successes than failures. I feel like I am getting a better understanding of the nature of the yeast beasties. This is my 75 per cent whole wheat {give or take} with a rye starter. I used the Forkish technique… Modified to be less wasteful.

Not perfect, don’t get a great oven spring, but tasty and good texture. Of course the drawback to not writing my proportions is that no 2 loaves are exactly alike. Oh well.
Lana
from Portland

2 Likes

Looks beautiful!
The right way to bake is the one that you most enjoy doing…and eating. Someone else said it better lol. (When I’m baking for my family, I tend toward slight over-fermentation.)

I’m with you on winging it for the most part. I do weigh the amount of flour I use so I know it will fit right in the cloche, but if I ever get a proper steaming oven and start baking flat on a stone, I’m pretty sure that will go out the window. I guess I also weight the salt out of habit.

I eyeball the initial water short and then add more by feel. I use a teeny, tiny amount of starter so never weigh that. I always wing the proofing times based on what I see and feel in the mixing bowl.

Eric has a whole series of “easy bake” recipes here that are all about winging it and developing your bread intuition. Here’s episode 1: