Beer Sourdough Baguettes

1. List item

My test run this week is a Beer Sourdough Baguette. Instead of water for the final dough I used Alexander Keith’s Amber Red Ale in place of the final water. For the Levain build I used 50% fresh ground Einkorn flour and 50% untreated ARW flour, and 20% mature starter and 125% water. Overall formula was 82% untreated ARW flour, 10% fresh ground whole rye flour, 8% fresh whole ground Einkorn flour, 0.2% diastasic malt powder, 51% Amber Red Ale, 19% water, 2% sea salt. Overall hydration is 70%. This recipe was designed and based on what I have learned working my way through Jeffrey Hamelman book ‘Bread’, A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes, 2nd and 3rd edition as I have both versions. I have also incorporated what I have also learned from Chad Robertson book, Tartine Bread. If you are wondering why I chose Einkorn, it is because I really like the taste of Einkorn Wheat. I now prefer it over Hard Red Spring wheat. I used 55 minute autolyse technique before adding salt and then 2 minutes of kneading at speed 2 for 2 minutes. This baguette is a little denser because the amount of whole rye/wheat. Flavour is very nice.

2 Likes

I love your creativity Bob. These are the first baguettes I recall seeing using beer and also the first I’ve seen using einkorn. Very very nice bakes.
Benny

2 Likes

Your baguettes look and sound delicious. I also love the flavor of Einkorn, and who doesn’t like amber ale. I’ve worked my way through about half the recipes in my two copies of “Bread,” although I don’t think I’ll get through the extensive list of rye breads.
Richard

1 Like

From 2nd edition, I have done all the breads section 4 Breads made with yeasted preferments, from section 5 Levain Breads, all except the two Miche type breads as I have no access to high extraction flour, I did all the breads in section 6, sourdough rye breads and all the breads in section 7 straight doughs, currently in section 8 section and I have done 14 of 30 recipes but I don’t think I will do them all.