Baguettes-Tartine Bread

Here is the result of my test run making Baguettes from Chad Robinson book ‘Tartine Bread’. This recipe used a Levain Build and poolish . To accommodate my schedule after 20 minutes and first set of folds during bulk fermentation, I placed in refrigerator overnight and then removed from refrigerator at 05:30 AM, then I drove my wife to work and I came home I did the cylinders pre-shaping after I had divided dough in to 340 g portions to make 8 baguettes. After resting for 15 minutes I did letter folding method and then shaped into baguette shape and placed Seam side up on baker’s linen that had bee coated with mixture of flour and rice flour. I did 2 hours for final proofing. After scoring the baguettes were placed in pre-steamed oven and steam fir 15 minutes. To create steam I used casserole dish with pastry beads and in Tartine book, towel was recommended so I placed soaked towel on top of pastry beads and placed in oven to pre-heat with oven. A couple of minutes before putting the baguettes into oven, I poured boiling water into casserole dish which had towel and pastry beads in. The reason I use pastry beads is to increase surface area to generate more steam. After 15 minutes the casserole dish with towel and pastry beads was removed from oven. I quickly rearranged the baguettes to get even colouring. After I had desired colour, I removed from oven and placed on cooling rack. The two slightly misshapen baguettes were kept for home use. These were the first two baguettes from the 8 that I had shaped. These baguettes are delicious, this recipe is a keeper. For other baguettes styles I make I will adapt the same baking and steaming method. This method gave very nice crust and colour. I placed the other baguettes into baguettes bags and sealed. Five were for my regular taste testers, and one for delivery to family member.

2 Likes

Your baguettes are a success Bob, well done. I haven’t tried the Tartine recipe yet when I’ve made baguettes they’re usually just sourdough or straight yeast. Are you pleased with the flavour?
Benny

Flavour was awesome.