Baguette Open Crumb

First…Best Wishes to All at “Breadtopia” for a Safe, Happy and Healthy New Year!

And many, many thanks to Melissa Johnson and “Benny” for their patience and help with my pursuit of a more open texture in my baguettes.

I thought, perhaps, I was over-proofing. Please see the image I’ve uploaded. Though this loaf was cut for hors d’oeuvres I think you’ll see how much more open the texture is. It would seem over-proofing was, indeed, the problem. Thanks to your insights, I learned that over-proofing allows the oven spring but then collapses. I sure do appreciate all the tips and knowledge imparted by Melissa and Benny.

What a great group and website!

Mac Allen

1 Like

Looks like what once was a great baguette. :slight_smile: You nailed it with the crumb, it looks spectacular!

Happy New Year to you, too.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Otis! Much appreciated! I guess this is a labor of love for all of us.
Best Regards,
mac

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Fantastic! I’m so happy for you. Great job experimenting with all our different theories and getting such wonderful results.

Hi, Melissa! Been a while. Hope all is well at your house.
So…I’ve had some disappointing results and couldn’t remember exactly what I’d done to get that first great texture. Made a batch today and realized I had dramatically shortened the final, post-shape proofing that once. Today, very short time in couche. Baked. Photo attached ( I hope). Don’t know whether it’s our altitude (7,100 ft) but the “poke test” result seems to come on very quickly. Anyway, I hope this is really the fix.
Best Regards,
mac a.

1 Like

Great crumb! Congrats on figuring out what makes that result repeatable.