Bagels - Hamelman’Bread’ book

First bread bake of 2022. Preliminary test run on making Bagels based on recipe located in the Miscellaneous Dough Section of Jeffrey Hamelman’s book titled ‘Bread’ A baker’s book of techniques and recipes. I used vital wheat gluten to get protein level of the ARW untreated flour to be equivalent to high gluten flour. I scale commercial recipe down to size to make 8 bagels. One change I did to recipe was instead of doing initial incorporation of ingredients for 3 minutes at speed 1, I just incorporated everything except salt and used autolyse method for 1 hour and then added the salt then kneaded to 3 minutes 30 second on speed 2 in my Bosch Universal Plus with pro dough hook. After shaping was completed the bagels were covered with plastic bag and placed in refrigerator for overnight final proofing. I used light Pilsner Malt extract to make 3% malt solution for boiling the bagels. I coated some bagels with toasted sesame seeds and poppy seeds and two bagels coated with mixture of toasted sesame seeds with poppy seeds. Odour was nice while the bagels were sitting face down on the BreadTopia linen bagel boards during the first 4 minutes of baking. Glad I soaked the bagel boards in water overnight before using in oven. I think next time I make I will coat after with seeds after removing from boiling so they are coated before placing on tray for cooling. Very pleased with flavour of the bagel. It was one of the best bagel flavours I have ever tasted.

2 Likes

Your bagels looks amazing Bob, I’d love one right now toasted with some butter! Happy New Year!
Benny

1 Like

I second that. Really nice bagels. Begging to be toasted then spread with peanut butter and topped with sliced banana. Very nice bake.

1 Like

A great first bake of 2022. You have my mouth watering.
Richard

1 Like

Great looking Bagels…what source did you use for your burlap on the bagel boards?

1 Like

I bought the bagel boards from BreadTopia store.