Bagel making

I am going to try and make bagles and have a few questions before beginning:

1. I do not have bagel boards and am wondering if I can bake them on a greased ( or ungreased) baking sheet and then flip the over on the baking sheet to cook the other side?

2. I do not have a baking stone for my bread baking and do not thin I will be getting one; how essential is taht in this process?

3. My spouse is sensitive to malt and I am wondering if the small amount required in the sourdugh recipe will be felt in the final bake ?

4. I noticed that you could sub the barley malt syrup with bake dbaking soda and am unsure what that is ?

Many thanks

1 & 2)
This comment and the one a couple down from it have ideas for baking bagels without boards and without a stone:

TLDR is to use parchment or a silpat under your bagels because they can stick if not. Also, preheat an upside down baking sheet instead of a stone if you have one to spare.

1. Which sourdough bagel recipe are you using? If it is this one, the diastatic malt is optional. Your bagels may be lighter in color and have a slightly different flavor without it.
  1. The malt or baked baking soda in the boil creates that flavorful “skin” to the bagels.
    Here is the link to the pretzel where you can learn how to make baked baking soda:

Melissa,

Thank you so much for your usual veru quick response to my query; greaatly appreciated.

I will let you know how my bake turns out when I give it a go ( soon I think )…

No sone.no Bagel boards are fine.
Take 50 grams of Baking Soda and bake at 250 for 1 hour and add to water when boiling