Artisan Style Gluten Free Bread

Hello, is it possible to make the dough the night before, let rise overnight, and bake in the morning (either in refrigerator or on counter-top)?

Looking forward to trying this bread. Do you think I could use a sourdough starter in this recipe? And if so, how would you change the ratio of flour to starter? Thanks!

This bread is 108% hydrated, which seems a lot to me.
There was absolutely no forming it into a desired shape. It was like melted ice cream. Do I have the ratios wrong?
300 g flour
195 g water
130 g milk

Are you using the same gluten free bread mix as listed in the ingredients?

First time ever making GF bread was a success! Used the Breadtopia GF bread flour mix, proofed in a dehydrator, and cooked in a cast iron dutch oven — resulted in a moist/springy crumb with a great crust. Good taste, a bit sweet (like an enriched dough, duh), but with the artisan look I was after. Nervous making as there was not many reviews yet, but it is a WINNER.Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I’ve made this twice now and it’s delicious! Just as pictured and 100% yummy. (Used weights not cups.)
Have you or anyone else on the forum used non-dairy substitutes? My sister is GF & dairy free. I’m thinking coconut milk or water for cows milk but what about the fat?
Any ideas or suggestions for what has worked for other people?

Eric - Are we supposed to use whole milk or does it matter? cn

I haven’t experimented with milk substitutes on this recipe, but I think there’s a better than decent chance that many of them would work fine.

First time. Bread came out great ! Any suggestion on how to use this flour for a pizza dough ?

The mix came out like soup! measured everything perfectly!

So, you clearly did not convert to cups correctly. So many people are getting a soupy dough. I did too! You should fix that! I recommend only measuring the ingrediants by weight.

This is the F#$% up. It’s super dense.

1 Like

We don’t do dairy either, and so we make our own nut milk mix. Our finished loaf is turning out very dense. Should we try adding more yeast? Is there a workaround?

Hello Eric:
I was so excited about trying this recipe but after 2 tries I am still getting an almost soupy mix…Why? Every ingredient was weighed exactly.

What is missing.?

Hello Eric:
What can I do to if the dough fails to rise? Can I add some baking powder or baking soda with apple cider vinegar?

Can’t see why that wouldn’t work. Mix well then into a loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven.

@bowlerwin @TanyaStraley @WalkingintheForest @nikorami

@eric suggested we re-test the recipe. I’ll be doing that today and will update the hydration and post any additional tips.

I baked two batches of this bread yesterday and had good outcomes both times. It tastes delicious by the way!

In both batches, I warmed the milk to approx. 100F, added the cold butter in chunks to it, then poured that mixture into the dry ingredients and smashed it around with a fork. When I was satisfied the butter chunks were small, I added the water and mixed some more. Then I kneaded briefly by hand, before the 15-minute rest.

My hunch is that the too-wet feeling some people are getting is at the initial mixing, but with a bit of time passing, maybe 5 minutes, the dough feels much dryer. As for the dough not rising, I didn’t have this problem as long as I gave it 1.5 hours at temps around 80F. I was using quite old but recently proven functional active yeast.

Both bakes I did were in free-form style, and the final loaves were not large. If I were making this in a loaf pan, I might double the recipe, or at least 1.5x it.

For the first bake, I reduced the milk and water. This made the dough less smooth than Eric’s in the video, but it didn’t crack and it baked up quite nicely, about 5 minutes faster.
110g milk (instead of 130g)
175g water (instead of 195g)

Working in warm milk and butter with a fork

Baked up, and sliced while a bit warm

For the second round, I used the full amounts of milk and water, and I found the dough easier to handle and smoother. The bread also turned out great.

After I mixed in the water

Brief kneading before the 15-minute rest

Start of the 1.5 hour rise (warm lit oven)

End of the 1.5 hour rise

All baked up

1 Like

Hi Melissa:
Thanks for taking the time to test this recipe again. I appreciate you sharing the warming of the milk as I took mine from the fridge and added it to the mix - so may have attributed to little or no rise.

Just to clarify, according to your comment above a picture shown (start of 1.5 hour rise) - did you proof the dough in an oven? Can you explain?

Thanks again

That makes sense – cold milk and cold butter will slow things down.

I’ve been using my oven as a proofing box for a long time and determined it doesn’t get super hot in there (stays under 85F) with the light on. You should confirm this with your particular oven the first time you use it too. To get the warmth going, I hit Bake, count to 20, and then turn the oven off. I let the dough rise for a few hours and then repeat – sourdough can be many hours / iterations of this.

Hi, Melissa,
I’ve tried this a couple of times and it turns out OK, but it falls in the middle. Any hints on what I should be trying? (Less proofing? Less liquid?)

Thanks,

-Dan