Applesauce Bread

We had an abundant crop of Macintosh apples last fall, most of which went into applesauce. I have been experimenting with using applesauce in bread. I pretty happy with the most recent result.

Autolyse
400 gr. water
200 gr. whole Kamut
200 gr. whole spelt

Additions
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 cup raisins

Loaf
400 gr. applesauce
150 gr. starter
3 T melted butter
3 T honey
1 1/2 t cinnamon
100 gr. whole Kamut
100 gr. oat flour
200 gr. white Kamut
200 gr. organic AP flour
3 t salt

With the applesauce, butter and honey in the dough, I proofed and baked the loaves in terra cotta loaf pans and baked at a cooler temperature. I did a cold start (as per the instructions for the terra cotta pans), with the pans tented with tinfoil. When the oven got to 425 F, I baked for 20 minutes, removed the tents and reduced the temperature to 375F and baked for about another 30 minutes.

1 Like

Looks delicious! How long and at what temp (roughly) were the bulk and the proof?

I typically use 12 hour bulk fermentation at room temperature and a 1 1/2 to 2 hour proof, again at room temperature. Last night got a little chilly and the kitchen temp dropped a bit, so for this particular bake, I did the proof in the oven with the light on.

One challenge with this recipe is that hydration is a bit of a guess because the applesauce is a substitute for some of the water. I wanted all of the AP flour, for the gluten strength. I added the white Kamut in increments, based on feel.

Thanks for the details. I do sure know about the unpredictability of hydration when adding wet accessories to bread! I’ve had a few porridge soup doughs under my belt lol