Any advice please!

Continuing the discussion from Starter not doubling:

@ab
Still struggling with starter after 12 days. Was looking good at 1:1:1 feed and doubling. So I increased to 1:2:2 . Fed it this ratio 3 times and each time, would not quite double. It also had a very strong acetone smell. So I went back to 1:1:1 feeding and it is only rising a little with tiny bubbles on top.
This morning, not quite doubled, few bubbles. So I just stirred. It has been 8 hours, very little rise with a few tiny bubbles. I do not know what to do at the 12 hour mark which is 9:30 pm.

So it did rise? Not quite doubled - does that mean just under doubled? If it rose to just under doubled then how does it not have many bubbles? What does it look like now?

Sorry, I missed quoted. This morning it was only slightly risen. About the same as what the current picture shows.

Does it still smell of acetone?

No it does not. Smells kind of like bread or slightly sweet

Ok… so tonight if it’s very watery just add in a few teaspoons of flour, to thicken it up, and give it a good stir. If it;'s not very watery then add in about 3 teaspoons of flour + 1.5 - 2 teaspoons of water and stir it up. See what happens by morning.

Alright, thanks! It is pretty watery, so I will just add a few tsp of flour and stir. I will send a picture tomorrow.

1 Like

Here are pictures this morning at almost 12 hours. Smells like acetone.

I forgot to ask what time zone you are in. I live in Colorado. Not sure what to do. I have read a lot of blogs. Thinking maybe just a little feed of 2:1:1. I will wait a bit longer before I do anything.

I went ahead and fed it 2:1:1. 80g starter, 20g BF and 20g WWF, and 40g water. I will send a pic at 12 hours which is 9:15 pm. If and when it doubles, should I let it double several times before increasing the feed. I think I may have increased the feed too soon early on when it had doubled. And then it went backwards. And if there is only a quarter of a rise, what do I do? Keep the 2:1:1 feed, or just stir and wait another 12 hours?

You are looking for consistency. Once it has no issue maturing within the 12 hours and speeds up then increase the feeds.

A 2:1:1 feed is fine every 12 hours if you see that it has some activity. If the activity begins to decrease then hold off.

So if the activity decreases after 12 hrs, I should just stir and wait another 12?

I think it is on the right track. This is what it looked liked Saturday evening and again this morning. I am going to give it another 2:1:1 feed and watch it throughout the day to see if it doubles before the 12 hour mark.

1 Like

Thanks for your help! Starter is progressing nicely. Looking forward to a bake!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help! Starter is progressing nicely. I am hoping to bake my first loaf of bread by Saturday or Sunday.

1 Like

Looking good. Going in the right direction.

Would love someone to weigh in on my starter. This is what it has been looking like after 2 feeds of 1:3:3. after 12 hours. Doubles, lots of large bubbles on side, but none on top. I am using all WWF. Was using 1/2 WWF and 1/2 Bread flour, but it was not progressing to a 4-6 hour double. From what I have been reading, it needs to double within 4-6 hours in order to be ready to bake with. I have been watching it closely, so I know it is not doubling before the 12 hour mark.

It looks good to me. WWF is not going to have the same bubbles as white flour.

Give it a 1:1:1 feed and I bet it will double in < 8 hours. If your kitchen is really hot, like 80F, then I’d expect 4 hours, but not at cool winter kitchen temps.

I will do that. Right know it is in my microwave which stays around 74 at night and 79 during the day. Should I give it some white flour as well?