Acorn Squash Milk Bread with Tangzhong

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

This looks great. I’ve made various vegan versions of enriched doughs like this and would recommend the following as a reliable egg substitute.

1 tbsp chickpea (or other legume) flour + 3tbsp of aquafaba (or soya milk).

This method seems to work well as a binder for the dough and contains lots of protein to mimic the nutritional profile of the egg. Silken tofu works reasonably well too (instead of the chickpea flour).

Don’t try applesauce!

I love this Melissa. I’ve been thinking about some fall themed baking and using some squash is an excellent idea. The colour of the crumb is beautiful as is the shiny crust. The fermentation is spot on!
Benny

Squash seems like such a natural choice with RdB. So pretty, too! I could totally see this ending up on the Thanksgiving table. Thanks.

@mkanedog Thank you so much for the vegan egg substitute tips.

@Benito Your milk bread recipe that was inspired by aspects of my milk bread recipe has now inspired aspects of this milk bread recipe…and round and round we go :blush:

@anothergirl Good idea for Thanksgiving. The bread could be a centerpiece loaf or made as rolls. I’d love to put a little more RdB in this bread, probably in the starter build.

2 Likes

This looks like a keeper. As another fall themed food choice, would it be possible to use sweet potato if squash is not available? Thanks.

Different squashes or sweet potato would be fine, just check out the photo gallery in the recipe to have a sense of the mashed squash and eventual dough hydration. Something like summer squash would be much more watery, and need adjustments.

That was phenomenal! (Like all your recipes)
I had steamed some butternut squash for the baby and I didn’t know what to do with the rest of it. I love milk breads but with the extra squash flavor it was absolutely scrumptious! Even the raw dough smelled so good! I made a double batch in a Pullman pan and we ate a whole loaf with raw butter as soon as it cooled off a little! Will definitely make again!

1 Like

Gorgeous bake!
Benny

What a beautiful loaf and that crumb looks ideal. Using leftovers is the inspiration for me too. I bet butternut squash was scrumptious :slight_smile:

The crumb looks luscious! Beautiful work.
–AG

I read this for the first time today and am making it now because it sounds so good! I was struck by your note that you set out to make a brioche but decided to do something lighter, and that made me wonder how this dough would turn out as doughnuts, given that those formulas are often brioche. Have you made a tangzhong doughnut??

I think this dough would be awesome for donuts. I took a sec to compare it with this recipe

and the main difference is fewer eggs in this acorn squash milk bread, so maybe a little less cake-y? I don’t think that is a problem though.

1 Like

Thanks. I love that bomboloni recipe!