A Simple Sourdough Focaccia

So, lately I have been reading a series of books starting with A Murder in Chianti by Camilla Trinchieri. Taking place in Tuscany, there is a lot of discussion of food and that got me thinking about making a focaccia. I decided I wanted to keep the toppings simple so I just used olive oil, coarse sea salt, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme.

So then what to use the focaccia for? Again, I was inspired by the books and made a mortadella and provolone sandwich. I briefly transported myself to Tuscany.

1 Like

Looks delicious! No one could argue with your classic toppings.

It came out as my favorite focaccia that I have baked so far.

1 Like

Your focaccia look goods! When I add herbs to focaccia (or any bread) I mix/fold them into the dough to prevent them burning while baking on top. Any high-hydration dough will work for pan focaccia. Low-hydration dough can be used to make focaccia without a pan, free-form style, called pizza.

That looks delicious! I love making sandwiches with homemade sourdough focaccia (and ciabatta).

Thanks, Melissa

Hi Otis,
I have done both ways with the herbs. I think I prefer the herbs on top because I get more herb flavor when eating.

Your focaccia looks lovely, light and airy with a nice coating of fresh herbs and sea salt. I’d probably love some garlic on top too.