A new experiment - sour dough, soft crumb

A new experiment … 100g durum flour, 200g whole turkey red, and 600g King Arthur Bread flour. 1/2C of instant dry milk for protein/gluten enhancement, 3/8C buttermilk. 1st mix was 1 1/2 min with mixer and 3 stretch and folds at 1/2 hour intervals, followed by 8 hours in the fridge, 2 hours on the counter, fold, shape and let rise 2 hours. 40 mins in 450 degree cloche and oven, followed by 15 minutes without the cover at 425. Internal temp 407 degrees.

1 Like

Very interesting. How was the crumb? Was it like a Pullman? Or classic sourdough boule?

The crust has become a new standard for me. While crispy, the crust was thinner than my other standard sour dough boules. When cut, the bread was light and airy enough that the loaf had a lot of spring under the serrated knife. The crumb was soft enough that the bread flexed when held horizontally, supported only by the crust. The crumb literally dissolved in the mouth when eaten with no toughness at all. This is my best loaf to date … I’ve only been baking bread for about 8 months. I can’t wait to try another loaf and see If I can maintain consistency.

1 Like

Dan,

Internal temp of 407º typo no doubt. I enjoyed reading your experiment. I have always searched for a simple process creating well formed airy crumb with a crisp light crust.

Glad to see you too have succeeded.

1 Like

Thanks Chuck. The 407% internal temp was the temp of the bread when pulled from the oven for cooling … and it was correct. The Last 12 - 15 minutes of the baking, I remove the cloche cover and lower the oven temp to 425°. The crust is dark and crispy by then and the internal temp is high enough to finish the process of baking on the cooling rack. The loaves are consistently moist with a tender crumb but not doughy with a thin crispy crust.

I get a soft crust, and crumb on my sourdoughs each week. I am just finding out that is a desired result for some. Beautiful bread. Presently my flours are Texas AP flour, and kamut I mill.

Nice. When I want a soft crust, I usually use a milk wash.