A confession

I confess it, I sometimes have white bread envy. Almost all of the bread that I bake is 100% whole grain because I love the full flavor of whole grain and I want all the nutritional benefits of including the germ and bran. And I’ve made some very respectable whole grain loaves, but I do get wistful sometimes when I see photos of gorgeous white flour loaves with their extravagant oven spring, exuberant bloom, and golden crusts that I just know are shatteringly crisp. So, today I gave in to my sometime envy and made a loaf of white commercial bread flour sourdough with a small amount of whole grain coming from my starter. Oh, my, what a thrill to see the great shiny puff of a loaf emerge from my oven! And when I cut into to it to see the sleek, moist crumb full of crazy big holes. It tasted as good as it looked even though the roof of my mouth is now lacerated by the crust which remained crisp many hours after it came out of the oven. I will happily return to my freshly milled whole grains for my next loaf, but I know that white flour envy will overtake me some time in the future, and I will sin again.

Wendyk320, it is only a sin if you don’t post a picture of this marvelous loaf of bread you baked. :smiley:

I sometimes make white bread, too. I call it sandwich bread, make with yeast and milk powder. It’s ok, once in a while. Mostly, anytime I need “white” bread, I whip out a quick ciabatta.

I agree :yum:

Oops, sorry, I’m afraid I cut it up (and ate a bunch) before I thought about a photo.