50% Whole Wheat Sourdough Challah

Despite the fact that growing up challah was more favourite bread, since I’ve been baking bread for the past three years I’ve only made challah once. Seeing Richard’s @evnpar recent challah inspired me to bake another challah. My first challah was Maggie Glezer’s sourdough challah. I made some changes to her recipe in order to add some whole grain. I also love an eggy challah so also increased the egg. I reduced both the water and the oil to compensate for the contribution of both by the additional egg. This is what I came up with for my test bake.

The dough was stickier than I would have liked so shaping was more challenging than I wanted. I would omit the holdback water the next time I bake this.
Procedures

1. The night before baking, mix the starter and ferment it at 76-78°F for 8-12 hours.
  2. In the morning, in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the starter then water, then mix in the 4 eggs, salt and honey and mix until completely combined.
  3. Mix in all the flour until it forms a shaggy mass.
  4. Knead the dough on the bench or in a stand mixer until it is smooth and there is moderate gluten development. (Bassinage the hold back water to achieve the desired consistency) The dough should be quite firm. Gradually add the oil, the dough may break down, wait until it comes back together and before you add more. Mix until gluten is well developed.
  5. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover it tightly. Ferment for about 2 hours. It may not rise much. At 82°F it rose 20-25% in 2 hours.
  6. To make one loaf, divide the dough into two equal portions, and divide each portion into the number of pieces needed for the type of braiding you plan to do, so divide each by 3 to make 1 six strand braided loaf.
  7. Form each piece into a ball and allow them to rest, covered, for 10-20 minutes to relax the gluten.
  8. Form each piece into a strand about 14” long. (I like Glezer’s technique for this. On an un-floured board, flatten each piece with the palm of your hand. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece to about ¼ inch thickness. Then roll up each piece into a tight tube. Using the palms of your hands, lengthen each piece by rolling each tube back and forth on the bench with light pressure. Start with your hands together in the middle of the tube and, as you roll it, move your hands gradually outward. Taper the ends of the tube by rotating your wrists slightly so that the thumb side of your hand is slightly elevated, as you near the ends of the tube.). You can consider rolling each rope of dough in two different types of seeds at this point for a decorative effect, or only a few of the strands.
  9. Braid the loaves. Braiding somewhat loosely, not too tight.
  10. Place loaf on parchment paper on a sheet pan (I used a quarter-sheet pan for each loaf.) Cover well with plastic wrap or place the pans in a food grade plastic bag, and proof at room temperature until the loaves have tripled in volume. About 4-6 hours. 4 hours at warm 79°F room temperature.
  11. If it’s almost tripled and when poked the dough only springs back a little, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Gauge the dough again. Stick a finger lightly in the dough. If it makes an indentation that doesn’t spring back, the dough is ready to be baked. If not, wait a bit more.
  12. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF with the rack in the upper third of the oven about 30 mins before final proof is complete.
  13. Brush each loaf with an egg lightly beaten with a pinch of salt.
  14. Optionally, sprinkle the loaves with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds.
  15. Bake until done – 25-40 minutes rotating half way. If baking as one large loaf may take a bit longer, bake until sounds hollow or reaches 190ºF in the middle.
  16. Cool completely before slicing.

1 Like

Baked to perfection. Beautiful dark color of the crust, perfect braiding, and what a nice rise! I did bake a Challah from “Mastering Bread” with 80% high extraction Recora Rojo and 20% whole wheat that was also excellent, although it was yeasted. I’ll have to try your recipe the next time I bake Challah.
Richard

2 Likes

Richard, thank you for your kind words. I may do as I did with the Hokkaido milk breads and gradually work my way up in percentage of whole wheat. First I need to taste this though and see what it is like with whole wheat as I’ve never had challah with whole wheat.
One thing that surprised me was how fast this fermented. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised, even with all the honey and fat since the percent pre-fermented flour was 25%.
Benny

Befitting for a Friday Night dinner. Fully agree with you that more eggy challahs are nicer and they make wonderful French toast. The dark crust makes it looks so inviting. I love a bold bake on challah. Very nice indeed, Benny.

1 Like

Thank you Abe, glad you agree about more eggs! I’m quite pleased with this bake. The crumb is soft, fluffy and oh so eggy. It made a great roasted vegetable sandwich for dinner.

2 Likes

This was a good bake, the crumb and flavour didn’t disappoint. I’m looking forward to having another sandwich with this bread tomorrow as well.

1 Like

Now i’m hungry! Great crumb. And all the better for being 50% wholegrain.

1 Like
1 Like

I am a bit confused.

If I understand the directions correctly, the recipe does not use a previously established starter.

Instead one is mixing 126g whole wheat with 75g water and hoping there is enough biological activity from the naturally occurring bugs, affectionate term for bacteria and yeast, in the flour to give a rise to the dough. Correct? If so, would think that it could yield a dense challah if one’s flour, even in organic, etc., is a bug desert (low population of needed bacteria and yeasts).

All of the other formulae I have used have used an established starter so am stumbling/questioning (good natured though) the formula for something I have skipped over.

Thank you for any insight.

At the bottom of the spreadsheet notice the line percentage seed culture, that is the starter % and weight I used. This is relatively standard I believe that the BBGA uses in their spreadsheets and what all my spreadsheets are based on.

So there is definitely an established active starter that is needed for this sourdough challah to ferment. It will not work without it unless you just use IDY.

! THANK YOU !

So to beat this dead horse, 30.32g starter, 126g WW flour, and 75g water for step 1 for a 938g loaf? If so, will hop right on it as high holidays are coming up for friends.

1 Like

Yes that would be correct for the levain.

Again, much thanks. :yum:

1 Like

You’re very welcome.