100% Wholegrain Emmer with Yeast Water Biga

Biga:

• 450g wholegrain emmer flour
  • 230g water
  • 40g refreshed active raisin yeast water

Mix roughly. Do not form a dough. Should resemble wet sand. Place bowl in plastic bag and leave to ferment for 10-12 hours. Since it’s low hydration (60%) for 100% wholegrain it won’t expand much. To tell it’s ready the bag will be wet from condensation and it’ll have a lovely aroma.

Just after mixing.

Final Dough:

• All of Biga
  • 150g wholegrain emmer flour
  • 11g salt
  • Enough water to make a nice dough
  1. Form the dough and knead for 10 minutes.
  2. Keep at room temperature for 1.5 - 2 hours giving it a fold after one hour.
  3. Refrigerate for 6-7 hours by which time it’ll be well risen.
  4. De-gas completely, form into a log and place in loaf pan.
  5. Final proof till ready. About 1.5 - 2 hours.
  6. Bake.

Now cooling but judging from the bake i’m positive it’ll be good. The lovely sweet aroma permeated the whole house.

Very tasty indeed! 100% wholegrain emmer plus a complete degassing after the bulk ferment has resulted in a closed crumb but it isn’t heavy at all. In fact it has a soft crumb with a lovely sweet flavour. I’m really liking this Italian Biga method.

1 Like

That’s wonderful! Thank you for sharing this yeast water biga technique. I can’t wait to see photos of the crumb and hear about the flavor.

1 Like

Thank you, Melissa. I’ll post a photo tomorrow. The crumb is not open, expected with a complete ed-gassing after the bulk, but it isn’t heavy. In fact it’s a very soft silky crumb. Has a nice sweet flavour to it. It seems like an enriched sandwich bread. Just had an end but i’ll see how it toasts up when I have some for breakfast.

1 Like

Your bread looks great, Abe. That crumb looks great, too, like it’s begging for a pullman pan to become the perfect sandwich loaf.

I had to look up emmer as it isn’t normally around where I am. Apparently it is a popular alternative wheat where you are, across the pond. Thanks for the taste description. I was wondering about that as nothing I read described the taste of emmer.

1 Like

Thank you, Otis. Very happy with this bake and have an idea for a 100% biga for my next.

Emmer is similar in many ways to Khorasan. Surprisingly soft for a whole and slightly sweet with biga accenuating the flavour.

If you can find some be sure to try it.