100% whole Kamut sourdough sandwich bread

My test run this week is test is 100% Whole- Kamut Sourdough Sandwich bread that I have designed for co-worker. Method I use was Levain build of 100% hydration, once Levain activity was at peak I milled the rest of Kamut wheat that I needed for test run. Incorporated all the ingredients except butter, I then place butter on top and allowed to sit for 1 hour to autolyse, I then incorporated the unsalted butter. I placed dough into bulk fermentation container, during 1 st hour bulk fermentation, I did 3 sets of folding of dough 20 minutes apart. Then after another 2 hours, the dough had doubled in size. I proceeded to divide into 950 g portion and shaped and placed in my Pullman pans. I then put in plastic bag and placed in refrigerator overnight. I bought out of refrigerator and allowed to take chill off dough and allow it to reach sufficient height before I placed in pre-heated oven. After 25 minutes I removed Pullman lid and allowed to bake further until loafs fully baked. Once removed from oven I allowed to rest before removing from pans and while still warm I rubbed top of loafs with unsalted butter. Taking all ingredients into account my overall hydration was 70.2%. The color of milled Kamut flour reminds me of how Durham wheat looked after milling. Taste is nice…

Those are lovely, and Kamut with butter in the dough has got to be amazing. So are you satisfied with the recipe testing?

1 Like

Melissa, here is image of overall % that I used for my test. Yes very satisfied with first test.

Nice! 3 eggs for two loaves, right?

1 Like

Melissa, 200 g was what I used for amount of eggs I used dough I was making for two Pullman loafs. For the size of eggs I used, it took 3 whole eggs and and partial amount from 4th egg which I used fork on to mix yolk and white of the 4th egg before adding to bowl which was used for pre-weighing. What I do as standard practice is open egg into small glass bowl to make sure no blood etc before adding to pre-weighing bowl. To calculate water from eggs I multiply weight of eggs by 76% and with liquid from honey I multiply by 50% to calculate overall hydration.