100% Kamut Walnut & Craisins Sourdough Sandwich Loaf

My test run this week is test is 100% Whole- Kamut Walnut & ‘s Sourdough Sandwich bread. This is another version I developed based on recipe I developed for co-worker. For this version instead of using flax seeds, I used 18 % coarse ground walnuts and I used 18% Craisins that I soaked in water, similar to what I did when I made flax seed soaker for recipe I developed for co-worker. The bread was still warm when one loaf and part of 2nd loaf were sliced, Taste is very nice. The third picture was slice after cooling completed.

2 Likes

What was the method? Love a kamut bread and have some ideas for a sandwich loaf. I think when making a100% kamut into a sandwich loaf it pays to preferment a larger percentage of flour and when the final dough is made just go straight into shaping with one ‘final’ proof. Kamut has little extensibility and don’t think it gains from the conventional method. It can’t be shaped like a bread flour dough after a bulk ferment and therefore won’t really benefit from it. You still wish to develop flavour have a lot of the flour pre-fermented. It’s also less fuss and minimum hands on time.

Your loaf is making me crave a Kamut bread but just taken an Einkorn Sourdough out the oven. Very nice bake.

My method was all the water and an equal amount of Einkorn flour in the pre-ferment. So 100% hydration for one big levain. Once ready just added the salt, remainder of the flour and kneaded into a dough. Shaped it into the loaf pan for one rise.

1 Like

Abe, The Levain portion was 28.6 % of final dough. Method I used as incorporate all ingredients except butter and walnuts, then I allow to sit covered at room temperature but I spread out butter on top and add chopped walnuts. After 1 hour I incorporate butter and walnuts then transfer to oiled proofing container, then I do 3 sets of fold every 20 minutes for 1st hour of bulk fermentation then I proof an additional 2 hours, then I remove for dividing and shaping. After shaping I place into lightly oiled Pullman pans, I allow to proof for 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Then place Pullman pans in plastic bag and place in refrigerator to continue overnight fermentation in refrigerator. 1 hour before preheating oven for 350 F, I bring Pullman pans out of refrigerator to take chill off dough one dough is at sufficient height I place in preheated oven and After 25 minutes I remove lid and continue baking until loafs have tough and Color for being fully baked. Then I remove from oven and after 5 minutes of cooling I remove from Pullman pans. Taking eggs, butter, honey & water the overall hydration is 70.2%.

That’s quite enriched. Which also means it’ll benefit from a larger percentage pre-ferment. More oompf to make up for the enrichment which can slow yeasts down.

Very lovely bake indeed. Just throwing out ideas for a sandwich loaf method which you might wish to try. You could pre-ferment all the water + an equal weight of kamut flour with some starter overnight. When nicely risen the next day just add the rest of the ingredients to form the dough. Give it a good knead till you get a strong smooth dough and shape it. Something to try.

That’s gotta toast up a treat! I’ve been on a kick with ancient grains. If you like Kamut you’ll also love Emmer. Similar with a nice sweet flavour profile.

Abe, For the sourdough pretzels recipe I developed, the Levain portion is 44.5 % of final dough and this version was best tasting pretzels that I have ever made. That was also feedback from my co-workers who got to taste.

1 Like

I bet they did. Those pretzels looked fantastic. Pre-fermenting a larger amount has many benefits. Been doing high percentage pre-ferments with some very tasty results. My last bread was a 100% biga. Such flavour!

If I lived closer i’d be ordering some loaves and pretzels :slight_smile:

Very nice bakes, Bob. I look forward to more.

1 Like