Wine Fridge Sourdough

Slow rise for two days in my wine fridge. This was just a beta test, but it turned out pretty well.

4 Likes

This looks beautiful and tasty too!

Did this time incorporate both bulk fermentation and final proof, or was it just the final proof after shaping?

Bulk fermentation only. After a few hours at room temperature, I put it in my wine refrigerator.

I’m working on an even longer test now and watching the dough rise very slowly. I was going to bake it today (after 3 days in the wine refrigerator), but life got in the way. Maybe tomorrow.

Oh, so I had it the wrong way…then you didn’t do any stretch-and-folds during the bulk in the fridge, I guess? And for the final proof, you did leave it at room temp, just as usual?

Sorry to insist, but I was going to do this myself (actually used it with one loaf but left it only a couple of hours at my lowest setting which is 54F - turned out pretty well) so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I didn’t do the entire bulk in the fridge. The first couple of hours were at room temperature and I did a few stretch and folds during that time. I then put the dough in the fridge for approximately 2 days at 15C. Sorry, I didn’t keep exact times, etc.

Final proof was “normal” if you ignore the waiting time to get the dough up to room temperature after being taken out of the fridge.

Good luck!

A very nice looking crumb as well as an interesting approach to ferments. I’m interested in your ongoing test and results. Thanks for this information.