Saki Bread Machine

Can I bake sourdough in my Saki bread machine. I have a decent recipe that calls for both starter and active dry yeast. I would modify my recipe to use only sourdough starter. My question is: Can I make my dough and let it proof overnight, and then put it on the regular bread cycle the next morning?

Unfortunately I don’t have experience using a bread machine, but hopefully someone who does can answer your question. Also, you may have already done this, but if not, you might check out these posts to see if they have info that could help you: Search results for 'machine order:latest' - Breadtopia Forum

Thanks for the additional info. I will update this when I get a chance to “test drive” my idea.

With the right amount of levain and on a good setting one should be able to do a sourdough in a breadmaker. Might take a bit of trial and error but it can be done.

The French Bread setting seems to be best for sourdough as it has the longest ferment cycle.

Start by pre-fermenting 50% of the flour. Then mix the salt into the remainder of the flour and sprinkle over the levain. Choose the French Bread setting. Then adjust the levain percentage accordingly till you hot the sweet spot.

If your bread machine comes with recipes then it’s also best to adapt a given recipe. Does it have a French Bread recipe?

EDIT: I’ve just checked and there isn’t a French Bread setting nor many recipes but they do have this…

Basic Bread Recipe

Here’s a sample recipe for basic white bread using the basic program:

Baking Time: 3 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 1/4 cups warm water
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 cups bread flour
• 1 teaspoon active dry yeast Miss out the yeast of course!

So try prefermenting: 1 cup bread flour (120g) + 1/2 cup water (about 120g) or i.e. use 240g mature starter at 100% hydration.

Add the starter/levain to the bread pan (don’t forget to include the hook). Mix into the starter/levain the remainder water - 175g - with 1 tsp sugar dissolved in it till it’s all dissolved and turned milky white.Then add the 1 tablespoon oil.

Mix together the remainder flour - 120g - plus 1 teaspoon salt then sprinkle it over the liquid.

Choose the “Sweet Bread Cycle” - just took another look and it’s the longest for this machine.

P.s.

Just got to the sourough recipe in the manual and the yeast is optional!

Sourdough Bread Recipe

Here’s a sample recipe for sourdough bread using the whole-wheat

program:

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Baking Time: 3 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of sourdough starter
• 1 1/4 cups of water
• 3 cups of whole wheat flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
• 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons of dry active yeast (optional, can help with rise)

Basic Program.

Try it!

Thanks Abe. I’ll try it out and see what happens.