Country loaf, Trevor J Wilson stiff dough (65% hydration) recipe

As I’m kind of a whole-grain addict, I baked this just to work on my shaping skills (it has only about 10% whole grain). I was pretty surprised when I lifted the lid of my bread cloche and saw the wonderful oven spring.

Nice looking loaf. Even if it isn’t whole grain I bet it will be gobbled up.

I’m a whole grain junkie, too. I’ve managed to create 100% spelt loaves with decent oven spring and a nice amount of lightness in the final loaf. Since baking with spelt, nothing else seems to fit the bill quite as much for flavor and the fullness factor that it gives.

Hi Dean,

Yes, I do love spelt also. I find it more difficult to work with, although I also managed to create 100% whole grain, whole-milled in fact, loaves with it. Some of my best were with a roux; my best-tasting loaf to date, which I made that way I had to, quite frankly, pour it into the dutch oven, but it got a wonderful oven spring and the crumb was very custard-like and creamy. Still, as far as I’m concerned I’m not sure I like spelt more than rye or einkorn.

Gorgeous lift and scoring. I would frame a picture of it on my wall. It looks that good.