Whole Wheat Croissants

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Hi Eric, I just finished baking a batch of whole wheat croissants. They are stupendous!

The flavor is, as you promised, much better than all-white croissants, with a real depth and sweetness to it from the whole grains. I used a mix of home-milled hard red wheat, spelt, and kamut flours, supplemented with some Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour. The croissants have all the flake and classic layers, but I love the slight weight the whole grain gives them… maybe best described as a “toothsome” quality.

Thank you so much for this recipe, and for the videos.

The shaping of my plain croissants leaves a little to be desired—I think I’d do better to give them wider bases—but believe me, the taste did not suffer. Can’t wait to try the morning buns. I froze half the proofed-but-not-baked pastries, so I’m also looking forward to enjoying them in a week or two!

That’s one of things I really like about them. It hardly matters what they look like. Although I think yours look awesome. So glad you gave 'em a try. Pretty labor intensive but so worth it.

Thanks for the great pics!

Have you tried adapting this recipe for sourdough? I’m trying to make a successful sourdough, 100% Kamut (have both white and whole wheat Kamut) croissant.

Hi Therese,

I haven’t, but it’s certainly a worthy goal. Croissants are so labor intensive and getting a somewhat flaky result with whole grain is pretty challenging. So far I haven’t been daring enough to try and pull it off with sourdough. If you blaze the trail, I’d love to hear of your results.

HI Eric,

Thanks for the wonderful receipe. I had been searching for pastry receipes with wheat and tried this whole wheat croissants. It came our well.

But i’m fairly new baker, so i think i had not handled yeast well enough, my end product had yeasty smell and sour taste.

I had used active dry yeast, i added milk, sugar and yeast let it sit for about 5 mins.

Please provide your suggestion, if possible on how to handle yeast in whole wheat croissants.

Hi Chithra,

I think I would need to try this recipe with a variety of yeasts in order to offer an informed answer to your question. The yeast I used is SAF instant. It worked well without a yeasty smell or sour taste.

Wow! Just finished making my first batch - actually, my first ever croissants! They were awesome. Thank you for making the process so easy. I was worried when the butter started to come through the dough during the final roll out, but I chilled the dough for 5 min and it seemed to work. They came out flaky and delicious. I can’t wait to try the chocolate ones for breakfast! :slight_smile:

Wow – this is awesome. Love that there are printout instructions and videos.

Hey Eric! Love the site - I have been using it for about a year now and have made a lot of people happy baking my very plain, unartistic, rudimentary sourdough - but they eat it all the same! I’ve had a question for you for a while now about the Whole Wheat Croissants (which people like even more than my sourdough, obviously): Do you think I could substitute King Arthur white bread flour for the whole wheat in this recipe, to get something a little more light and decadent? If not, no big deal. It’s really hard to improve on perfection. Thanks again for everything you do!

What kind of WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR did you use? For how complex croissants are I want to start out with a good recipe. It’s been on my must do list for 18 months now, and I never even dreamed of making them out of freshly ground flour! I’m so excited to try these. Please tell me WHICH variety of wheat you recommend. I have a lot of grain berries. Turkey red, white winter, spelt, kamut, are the ones I imagine might be good here. Thanks

@Spring I was just watching the first of the 3 videos Eric made on the Whole Wheat Croissants and the whole wheat he said he used for the batch in the video was the Turkey Red. Hope that helps!

Baking blessings,
Leah

2 Likes