Whole Grain Potato Dinner Rolls

These look amazing! I am going to have to try them.

Can I sub another flour for the spelt? Don’t have that. Thanks and the rolls look great

Absolutely. If you stick in the “red” varieties of wheat, you won’t have to change anything. Commercial whole wheat flour is hard red spring wheat. Compared to spelt, it’s a little thirstier and less nutty. Spelt doesn’t have the bitterness some people taste in hard red spring wheat.

Regarding hydration, it’s best to be responsive to the “dough feel” more than the grams in the recipe.

Thank you!!!

I made these for our dinner and to pass out as a foursome to neighbors tonight. Leftover mashed organic Yukon potatoes, 200 g ww spelt, 100 g Sonora, 100 g AP Einkorn, baker’s yeast, added a light stretch and fold after short knead, sprinkling a bit of Einkorn bran caught from a previous sifting session to negate stickiness. Light as a feather and delicious! Perfect crumb and didn’t bring my A game (kitchen was hot so 1st rise was 70 minutes). Forgiving recipe and lighter than my well versed vintage rendition.

Yum. Those looks lovely, and the wheat flours you picked + organic Yukon potatoes + yeast all sound so delicious. Lucky neighbors : )

1 Like

Thank you! Happy warm, cozy and thankful Thanksgiving to all!