What's the best digital kitchen scale

I need to purchase a digital kitchen scale. Who better to ask then the gang here at Breadtopia!

I believe that more important are the dimensions along with the features of the scale.

Thin profile from top to bottom to allow easy storing on its side.
Small footprint no more than 9 x 9.
Easily readable numbers as well as units of measure (gr, oz, lb, ml) others a bonus.
Simple way to reset tare weight.
Simple convenient way to set unit of measure.
Easily cleanable surface.
Weighing platform big enough to hold your bowls.
I think 10-15# is sufficient for home use.
The scales could be called bakers scales, like the high one below.

Many newer scales are 1/2" plate glass with front panel and 4 small feet that are sensors.

Here are two types of scales. Many more excellent scales are available at the breadtopia store.

Amazon,you can find lots of over $10-$20
Etekcity with good quility,Adoric. is ok, and some others you can choose

Maybe you could try this type REIDEA with 4 high precision sensors, $10-16$ on amazon

I have a digital scale I’ve had for years that I love, but it’s not precise enough for 1 gram measurements. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that can handle that small amount?

Thanks,

Debra

On the one hand, you can get what cheesemakers use to measure miniscule amounts of culture. One is called Triton T3 Digital Scale. Cheeseemaking.com sells it and I’m sure other places do, too.

On the other hand, I have a regular digital scale (by Taylor; it wasn’t expensive) that I’ve had for about five years and it will measure within a gram. Sometimes I have to press down and release for it to recalibrate, but it will show a gram more on less depending on whether I added and removed. I just tested it and I can measure one gram of salt. With scale on, I put a tiny bowl on top without zero-ing out, and then plop in a little salt and it will show an increase of one gram. It for sure won’t be as precise as the Triton above, but for breadmaking I don’t think it matters. (I say “plop in” because I do it with a little force so that the scale will react. Or, I press and release as I said above.)

I hope this helps!

Thank you. I’ll also try the ‘plop-in’ method!

I recently bought two Chinese Amput brand scales - 10kg max with 0.1g divisions… They are good because they don’t turn off after a set amount of time (which drives me nuts with a lot of scales), they can run off an adapter rather than batteries and the display doesn’t get obscured by large bowls. You can get them on eBay for a reasonable price but they aren’t as cheap as some of the battery powered flat style scales - but I bought the for the benefits that I already mentioned which to me makes it worth it.
s-l500

I have the OXO 11 lb Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull out Display. It;s 49.99 online at OXO. When I bought mine it was the #1 rated by America’s Test Kitchen. Pan is large enough for most work, Measures in grams and English measurements. The display pulls out from the rest of the scale allowing you to see it even under a large item. Powered by 4 ‘AAA’ batteries.
Love it.

I have seen on Amazon very, very many different options that will perfectly suit you. I chose one of them and I still like the quality.

I just ordered this scale waiting for it to arrive with my new pizza oven.

I upgraded to the My Weigh KD-8000 a couple months ago and I couldn’t be happier. It ticks all the boxes for me: capacity (8000g / 17lb), accurate, the auto-shutoff can be set to 2 min, 5 min, or disabled, and there’s a power adapter so I don’t need to use batteries.

And besides having modes for all the expected units of measure, it has a baker’s percentages mode.

The only additional thing I could ask for is the ability to measure in increments finer than 1 gram, for measuring things like spices. But after reading a lot of reviews I decided that it wasn’t reasonable to expect a scale to be accurate both at sub-gram measures, and also at the larger measures you more typically need for bread baking. So I bought a little Hochoice Digital Pocket Scale for $13 for that.

Mostly I use a Dretech KS-309. It is made in Japan, only measures in ½ grams increments, nothing else. Just two buttons on top, On/Off, and Tare. Supposedly very accurate, but I wouldn’t know, never put any calibration weights on it to see. I use it because it is so well made and dependable, simple, and especially for the novelty of a switch on the underside that adjusts the scale’s performance to compensate for the ‘speed of gravity’ depending on where the scale is in Japan. That switch has no practical use to me because I am not in Japan and I have no idea if the speed of gravity where I am is the same as some place in Japan, but just knowing my scale can be adjusted for the speed of gravity makes it kind of cool. :grinning:

1 Like