What Ciabatta for my first Attempt?

(Allen) #1

A while back I found out about the horrors associated with modern wheat, from the moving away from wholesome wheat varieties, complex gluten’s, anti-nutrients in wheat such as Tannins, Phytates, enzyme inhibitors, olygosacarides verses the benefits of using whole grain sprouted flours and I decided I would try to learn to bake bread.

I wanted to use only whole grain sprouted flour and so I have gradually gotten what I needed to get started. I haven’t tried sourdough and will leave that for another time. I have several grains that I have sprouted and keep in mason jars using food savers vacuum sealing with oxygen absorbents to keep it fresh. Everything I bought sprouted except the Einkorn, I made Diastatic Malt, have Oats, Rye, Red Fife, Soft White, Hard white, Flax, Chia, Turkey hard red winter and Kamut.

The problem I have is what recipe to try since I don’t see any using only whole grain flours, even using different grains. I do know to cut the water in half and have a second hand Sassafras stone I picked up along with a good scale as recommended.

After making some bread I will start looking into sourdough since that would be the way to go for the best flavor. So I’m asking for some help with recipes and good grain choices. Red fife and hard winter Turkey I’ve seen mentioned as good choices. Anyone willing to give me somewhere to start?

Thank You Kindly

(Melissa) #2

Quite a few of the recipes listed in the right column of this page are all whole grain and cover various types of wheat. https://breadtopia.com/bread-recipes/

If they ask for 1/4-1/3 cup of sourdough starter, substitute that for 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. You’ll need to adjust the timing on the recipes – watch your dough carefully the first few times you bake – because your sprouted wheat will likely ferment faster, as well as the yeast vs. sourdough.

Happy baking!

(wendyk320) #3

Hi, Allen,

I was where you are a couple of years ago, just beginning to bake and wanting to use whole grains. I’ve had a wonderful time learning from my successes and my failures. The bread baking community on Breadtopia and other bread baking sites is incredibly generous and helpful with their experience and knowledge, and I have learned so much from them but some of the most important things you will learn will come from baking bread again and again and again, so hang in there and just keep baking. Even if it looks awful it will usually taste good.

If you do not have good results using your sprouted flour, it might be worthwhile trying to use unsprouted flour in the beginning. I recently became interested in sprouted grain flour too and made several attempts using it in bread, none of which was successful. I tried both grains that I sprouted, dried, and milled myself and commercial sprouted wheat flour and the results were the same for both, oozy unformable dough and very poor loaves, the worst of which was inedible. I used sourdough starter, not commercial yeast. My personal experience is that sprouted grain flour is trickier to use than non-sprouted.

Good luck and happy baking!

(SteveH) #4

Hi Allen.

Perhaps you could try adding some psyllium husk to improve the rise and crumb.

Steve