Weights and measures

Hey all, I was in a dilemma of not knowing the weight of the flour in a cup?
(Well) turns out the folks at KA has a weight chart oz., g, per cup and get this
Not all flours weigh the same. After I read that chart with so many different
Weights~Who knew
Hope this helps

Not only do different flours have different weights per volume, different people measuring out the same flour with the same volume measure will end up with differing amounts of flour, and even the same person will get a different amount of flour from one “cup” to another… :open_mouth:

That’s why, if you care about trying to exactly reproduce a recipe, the recipe has to be specified by weight and you have to weigh out the ingredients. No chart of grams or oz. per cup is actually going to be consistently accurate, though consulting a chart might make your mind relax some about GETTING IT RIGHT.

Baking bread, especially with sour dough leavening, is very unlike most formulaic cooking. You can try to follow a recipe to the T and hope to get repeatable results, but it really won’t work consistently because there are too many invisible variables that have a large effect on your results when it comes to bread baking.

If you want to bake consistently good bread, it’s better to let go of the idea of following a recipe exactly and instead focus on developing a sensitivity to the process so you can know by looking, feeling, smelling, poking your dough along the way when it needs more or less flour, more or less water, longer or shorter proof times, etc.

@eric has a great series of video tutorials on developing that sensitivity in bread baking:

2 Likes

Peeve,
I tried to reply but I don’t think it worked, so maybe she his one will?
Thanks for the helpful tip and video series!

KA measures its AP flour to weigh 4.25 ounces per cup. Other recipes usually call for flour to weigh 5 oz. per cup. If recipe calls for cups of flour and weight not given, I go with 5 oz./cup. For any KA recipe, use 4.25 oz. KA’s weight charts are specific to their flours.

Thank you, that will be very useful. If you don’t mind I have a question here,
I have run into more than once where it calls for flour but ununspecified as
To AP or Bread!
Have you seen such a thing?
Rich

Unless recipe specifically calls for Bread Flour, I would use All-Purpose.

The weight of flour, usually per 1/4 cup, is on the nutrition label that is located on the side of the bag. If you purchase in bulk, it should also be available. Different flours do have different weights.

1 Like

Here is a basic chart, individual flours have different weights. KA has their own chart of equivalents. When you are unsure of your products volume vs weight; you can take a cup or other measure and weigh it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this useful info., I don’t by in bulk the most I have
Bought has been 10 Lbs. in a week, (For a senior lunch).

That gives me something to fall back on thanks

Happy this will help you.

C

1 Like