Weight questions with Cloche Bread Baker – Oblong (long loaf)

My current dry flour weight is 560 g. I bought the “Artisan Bread Starter Kit – Long Loaf” which includes the Cloche Bread Baker – Oblong - inside dimension 14″ long x 5″ wide x 4 1/4″ high (area 70 in^2, volume ~ 300 in^3)

Will a dough that contains 560g of flour fit? For those using the Cloche Bread Baker – Oblong How much flour or weight are you using?

Thanks

The answer to your question somewhat depends on flour type, hydration and gluten development. I think 560g bread flour with a lot of oven spring will work, but may push the upper limits.

I tend to use 25-50% whole grain flour and 450-500 grams total flour and this gives me some room in the cloche.

Try 560g and see what happens. If the bread lifts the lid, multiply each ingredient by 0.9 the next time you make the dough.

Please share your results if you get a chance. I’m curious how it goes :slight_smile:

Hi Melissa,
This is helpful since I have been trying to figure out the min-max capacity for the oblong cloche coming from Breadtopia.
What do you think about 500 grams of total flour at 80% hydration?
Thank you for your help,
A

I think that would be fine. Let us all know how it goes!

Hi Melissa,
I am having trouble with the rise, for the exact same recipe, if I bake in the round DO, I get beautiful rise. However, with the oblong clay baker (bought from Breadtopia), I just cannot get a good rise.
Do you have some tips?
A

I’m guessing it’s a matter of shaping to get a better explosion? I tend to stitch the dough in the banneton for this shape because it’s hard to get tension when shoving the long tube around with my bench knife. I’m not sure what to advise if you’re already doing that though. Maybe score in the baker, so you don’t get the squish factor.

Here’s a bake I did this weekend with the oblong baker and the challenger bread pan, same dough divided. The bloom is bigger on the one that could splay, but the height is good on both.

20200815_150445_copy_567x318

Hi Melissa,
Thank you for your prompt response.
I did the stitch and freezer 15" before baking.
I am going to try a different method, long cold overnight bulk fermentation and shape before baking.
If you could think of anything in the meantime, I appreciate any tips
Thank you,
a

How are things coming along with the oblong baker?

Hello Melissa,
Thank you for asking.
I still don’t know why I cannot bake straight from the fridge like I used to and still able to do with the round loaf. I like doing all the work the day before and just bake the following day.
I made the beetroot bread and I liked it, my family, not so much.
I used less than vitamin C and starter. I used the 100% whole grains recipe and I added buckwheat, I normally have buckwheat in all of my loaves.
Attached are the pictures I took with my phone. For this recipe, I followed your instructions and retarded the dough overnight in the fridge, then bench rest, shape, and final proof over the counter before bake the next day. I am glad that I set aside 65g of water as instructed

I recently bought the Cloche Clay Baker for a friend, it just arrived today
Happy baking,
a