Weekend Pizza With My Two Secret Ingredients

1. The best fennel sausage in the entire universe from a trip to NYC at Christmas. I bought 5lbs and keep it in the freezer for pizza.
  2. Rather than using crushed red pepper, I found some crushed chipotle pepper. It adds a great smoke flavor to the pizza.

1 Like

Check out Marc Vetri’s Mastering Pizza where one key pie is a fennel/sausage pie with roasted fennel and fennel sausage. And I love Faicos, also check out Espositos on 9th Avenue next time you are in nyc. I think they also deliver throughout USA

If you want good sausage pizza in NYC, try Sofia Pizza Shoppe on 1st Ave. My favorite. I found Faicco’s when I realized Sofia’s was using their fennel sausage.

Sofia Pizza Shoppe

You are both making me want to take the train into NYC to buy sausage : ) You’ve inspired me to plan to go to a more local place though. It’s Hungarian, German & Polish focused, so I’ll likely miss out on fennel…but many other droolworthy ingredients. Check out some of the featured sausages
http://unionporkstore.com/index.php?route=common/home

That is an insane variety of sausage.

Right?! Sadly they’re closed Sundays…

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy Italian sausage with fennel in the Bay Area including the Monterey Bay area? Sort of like Pizza My Heart’s sausage.

In a pinch, I use a pound of the best mild Italian sausage I can find and mix in about a teaspoon of ground fennel seed and a teaspoon of toasted whole fennel seeds. Works best if you do this a day or two before you actually cook the sausage.

Thanks for the tips! Someone intrigued me into buying fennel pollen a while back. I should have predicted that as someone who was pretty allergic to pollen until five years of allergy shots, the fennel pollen would make my mouth and sinuses react. I wonder if cooking it would deactivate it.

Fennels seeds and fresh fennel are fine for me and i love both…just wondering about the pollen product in order to possibly have a use for it.

Regarding Chicago and the far western suburbs…favorite “HOT” Italian sausage??

I just noticed this. Frankly, I think fennel pollen is overdone and can really overpower a dish if you don’t watch it. I’m with you, fennel seeds do the trick. If fennel pollen is used, it must be done sparingly

1 Like

Oh my you are giving me ideas. My wife makes our Italian sausage and she does put fennel in it but MAYBE we need more! :heart_eyes: