Waffle/pancake just starter recipe

About a month ago someone tried using just starter for their waffles/pancakes. I was going to try this and see what we thought. Can you post that message, thanks

You might find what you are looking for with this search - https://forum.breadtopia.com/search?q=starter%20pancakes%20waffles

Thanks! It’s not the one I saw but I will try this. Once I figure out what a flax egg is ¿¿¿

The one I use is very similar to this one:

It will give you a very crepey type of pancake. If you want them thicker, you can add some flour.

They taste great!

Thanks I will try that. The first recipe when I tried it was to thin. I will try this!

Flax egg=1 Tbs ground flax+3 Tbs water. Mix together and let sit 10 minutes or so, until it gels. Use in place of 1 egg

I make what amounts to starter only waffles pretty frequently. I started w/ “Eric’s sourdough waffles” recipe

But…I like really sour. So I mix up the flour, water, and starter early in the morning, cover and let sit for 24 hours. Usually I stir once or twice during the day. That super long ferment essentially turns it all into very mature starter.

Next morning, while waffle iron is heating I mix in any additional ingredients, adding the baking soda last to make max use of the bubbling action. They come out incredibly good. Mostly they only contain the flour, water, and baking soda though lately I’ve been adding a banana and peanut butter mashed together. But even just plain plain they are delicious.

Oh wow! I’ve got to try this recipe! Though I do have a sourdough pancake recipe I use when I need to feed Cyril, but still have too much of him, it uses both sugar and buttermilk as well as more flour. I’d rather not use the sugar and I don’t usually keep buttermilk around so I have to “plan” when I want to make a batch of pancakes. And it makes about 15-20 pancakes, depending on how big I make them. But this recipe you’ve shared definitely sounds intriguing, simple and the right size for a single serving meal and quick! If I hadn’t already just eaten breakfast I’d be trying it today, LOL!

Leah

Old-Fashioned Sourdough Waffles (or pancakes)

Ingredients

460 g sourdough starter, room temperature

2 tablespoons sugar

ÂĽ cup oil

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with

1 tablespoons warm water (add 1 – 2 minutes before cooking)

Directions

In a large bowl, add sourdough starter, sugar, egg, and olive oil; mix well. I actually do this in my blender - quick and easy!

Dilute baking soda in 1 tablespoon of warm water. Add baking soda to batter just before you are ready to cook the pancakes.

Fold gently into the sourdough batter (do not beat). This will cause a gentle foaming and rising action. Let the mixture bubble and foam a minute or two.

Heat up a lightly greased griddle/waffle iron until fairly hot; then pour batter onto the griddle/iron. Cook until golden brown.

1 Like

You all give me ideas thanks. Guess what we’re having for dinner tomorrow

@pritzman, I need to feed my sourdough, Cyril, today so I decided to make up a personal batch of these pancakes for my breakfast. DELICIOUS! Wow! What a treat! I did add the tablespoon of flour as I am used to fluffy pancakes, and they were wonderful. The next time I make them, I may not add the flour just to see how they come out. What a delight to eat pancakes that were almost ALL Cyril! Yep, I’m impressed and grateful.

Leah

• Eggs. One per waffle
  • Flour. Three tablespoons for batter, more to dust the pan
  • Salt. A pinch
  • Sugar. Two teaspoons. (don’t add brown sugar! It will mess up the consistency and taste awful.)
  • Vegetable oil

For the topping, you can use maple syrup, Nutella, Strawberries, Bananas. Everything you prefer. My new favourite is Linden Honey. Never thought it’s so good until visit Andorra. They have such waffles on breakfast provided by the local honey brands “Le Souffle d’Adore”. That was amazing.

I will try the recipe and write my review. The recipe looks very good. :blush: