Using cracked wheat malt in bread

(Sauce) #1

New, here, greetings all.

I know malt powder is used in baking, but I thought it would be interesting to use gristed (cracked for brewing) malted wheat (this instead of barley because it is typical of malted barley to include the husks to aid in the brewing process). Malted rye also could be used as it also typically does not contain husks.

Anyway, only been backing for a year and I have tried it twice with less than optimum results - a gooey uncooked texture even though the internal temp was over 195f.

Thoughts? I’m guessing I’m traying to add too much, the bread I am attempting is a basic rye with 20% course ground rye flour, 70% unbleached bread flour and 10% of the cracked wheat flour.

My thoughts is that the % of malted product is too high adding too much maltose (sugar) or perhaps I should make this more of a prefermented dough, or at least extend the initial rise or perhaps do it twice

Thanks in advace

JackK

(Sauce) #2

So nobody has baked with cracked wheat or rye malt?

(Melissa) #3

I have used sprouted wheat and cooked wheat berries, and also diastatic malt powder…but not cracked wheat. My husband is a beer home-brewer and I have a freezer supply of spent grains I’m going to use in a sourdough someday…

I hope you get some helpful responses!

Edited to add: the amount you describe sounds small. In my experience, you can add 20-30% of just about anything to bread flour and get a good looking and textured bread: millet, oats, amaranth…etc.
So my question would be, did the dough have a nice texture and then “turn bad”? I mean: get soupy after being stretchy? That could be enzymatic activity maybe

(doughinyuma) #4

If there is a Craft brewery near you they will usually give you a gallon or so of “spent grain” and you can add that to your bread. It has great flavor and adds “grist” to your bread but it won’t break your teeth.