Toasted Millet Porridge Sourdough

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Wonderful looking bread as always Melissa. I’ve made millet porridge bread many times, it is one of my favorites because of the creamy texture, but never toasted it just cooked it like a hot cereal before adding it to the dough. The toasting to bring out a nuttiness sounds like a good idea.
Stu

2 Likes

Beautiful Bird Seed Bread!

1 Like

Great looking bread. You could also modify this recipe to use teff instead of millet.

Another variation to try would be to use a soaker instead of porridge. I frequently bake a bread that, for two loaves, uses 600 grams whole grain; 400 grams AP flour at about 75% hydration. Rather than following the Tartine method, I do a 2 hour autolyse with the whole grain flour and 600 grams of water. While the autolyse is working, I set a soaker of 150 grams toasted steel cut oats, soaking with 120 grams water and 60 grams honey. After the autolyse, I add the remainder of the water, 150 grams of starter, the flour and 20 grams of salt.

I did read somewhere that millet is used as bird seed – forgot about that. I should rename the recipe lol

Interesting, so a 2 hr soak of toasted steel cut oats is enough to soften them. Good to know!

I did a bread a while back that had a mix of ancient seeds and grains. Also soaked. It was a guessing game to hydrate. Glad to have your ratios to work off of - thank you!

Here’s a photo from that one - in my head I called it “Name that Seed” :slight_smile:

I wanted to clarify the measurements in the two formulas. Is the water in the first formula and the water /yeast water in the second formula separate from the water used to prepare the millet ? So variation 1 has 650 g + 70 g of water and ALSO the 270 ml water to make the porridge ? and variation 2 has 500g water + 260 g yeast water and ALSO the 270 ml water to make the porridge ? I don’t want to make a mistake ! Thank you . c

1 Like

You’re welcome!
Yes, the dough water is in addition to the porridge water.
(The millet porridge is not very wet once done cooking.)

Thank you !! I have never used millet. I do use stone ground yellow grits as well as polenta in a finer grind. Will have to branch out ! c

1 Like

Two hours is sufficient. The oats will still be hard when you mix the dough. But, during the bulk ferment and bake they will soften up. The texture of the final result will not have the “custard” texture that you get with custard.

What a beautiful rich & well nutritious bread! It looks amazing, as always! :slight_smile:A must try! thanks for the tasty recipe! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

This is a great recipe and we’re really enjoying the bread. Very flavorful; moist but not to the point of calling it custardy. I did swap 80g of the whole wheat flour for 40g spelt and 40g rye, which I tend to do with most of my breads. Now I’m encouraged to find recipes that incorporate other grains, e.g., cornmeal or polenta.

That looks delicious, and the flour substitutes sound good.

Here’s another porridge bread I made that I figured I’d share here.

I agree that the porridge additions are fun and a nice way to add fiber and protein.

Thank you so much for this recipe! It is a very forgiving recipe for a neophyte baker like myself. I used too much water and deflated the dough moving it to the la cloche on the first attempt, but the bread was still great. The second time I only used white whole wheat milled in my Mockmill 100 and the texture was wonderful. I was excited to have a successful baking experiment and appreciate the skills I can learn from the Breadtopia site.

1 Like

Melissa, please clarify the amount of water for soaking the millet. I used 2 cups of water but that is about 450 ml rather than the 270 ml specified in the recipe. It probably doesn’t make much difference, but I wanted to do it the better way. Thank you.

Yes, that is a typo! Thanks for catching it. I checked my notebook, definitely 2 cups (470ml). I’ll fix the recipe asap.

In the photo gallery caption, I have the soak water at 470 ml. (I must’ve subbed in the 2 for the 4 in the printable recipe.)

I hope this didn’t hold you up too long.
Happy baking and thanks again!

I made the millet in an instant pot (high for 10min) after toasting. This bread came out perfect. Nice recipe.

Looks great! Thanks for the instapot tip. I use mine for rice, yogurt, and beans only. I should try porridges.