The Adventure into Home Milled Nixtamal and Tortillas

The culmination of almost 2 years making Nixtamal and tortillas.

The file is too large to be posted here so I provided a link. If anyone interested has any problems viewing let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12XPGGMMCxHnfFP68BTX9mAAdBozIs5IE/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Thank you, Dennis. This is super helpful. (Hammering the dried corn to test its moisture level sounds satisfying, though eating your finished product even more so.)

Great article Dennis, thank you for posting.

I make corn tortillas a couple of times a week but have to use store bought Masa Harina. They are always better than store bought tortillas. I can’t begin to imagine how much better yours are. Thanks again!

Dave

I had 5 people over one day when I was making my first tortillas (the ones that fell apart easy) but the flavor was still there. They could not believe the flavor of them. I broke open a box of store bought for them to compare them to and I cannot post what the comments were. I was happy!! Kept me on the journey to making them correct. Last night we made more Empanadas and actually used the press to make them (although the Mexicans would frown on my use of :crazy_face:) The flavor of the corn just outstanding. Well worth the trouble in making.

1 Like

You inspired me to use my tortilla press for naan “shaping” this morning. It was very efficient. I’ll be doing that again for naan and empanada dough.

1 Like

Hmmmm…those look good! Naan puffed up nicely! How do you keep the troops from gaining too much weight with all that luscious stuff…?

Diane had some comments when I started using the press for the empanadas but they really turned out well. The 110g dough balls were 7" in dia. and perfect for making a cup, then filling. We already have a pizza day and I am afraid we are going to have a “Mexican day” next.

ALWAYS have to look for the easier way to do things. I am not into pounding things against rocks just because they used to do it that way! :grin: :grin: :grin:

BTW… made a killer home milled whole gain Cinnamon Raisin Einkorn today. The texture and taste are really outstanding. Need to come up with a better way to roll up the soft Einkorn (did not like what I did this morning) but the bread was excellent.

1 Like

Did you try rolling up your einkorn cinnamon raisin dough a new way yet? That sounds like a great combination.

The troops here are omnivores but fed a lot of vegetables :slight_smile: Some of us are also very active and others prefer to not eat a lot. I’m not sure how they do that; I’m in the active camp. I love baking desserts and making homemade ice cream, and those are activities I try to limit.

I’ll post my recent corn tortillas with the drop of water approach in the appropriate thread. We did a healthy filling for them that I sorta copied off Chipotle :joy:

1 Like

Is this available any longer? Would love to see it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11p4WJgcsdLF5IRm5QdUo79f4DJS3cN0q/view?usp=sharing

Don’t know why Google decided to put in my trash folder as I never did it.
For some reason I cannot edit my original post above.