Terroir Experiment with Turkey Red

Here’s a link to the write-up of the Turkey Red Terroir Experiment designed by Barry Wasser that I participated in:

We baked with turkey red wheat flour from different soils/environments. Here are my loaves:

From left to right: Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Minnesota
First and fourth loaves were made with commercial stone-milled flours.
Second and third loaves were made with countertop stone-milled flours.

1 Like

Such an interesting experiment Melissa, I’m always amazed at how you come up with such ideas, well done. Also, the interview was a lovely read as well.

Back on the website with the Melissa interview, there is an article with Melissa reviewing California varietals of wheat. It is a good read, too, tho they overlook Sonora wheat, one of the oldest wheats in North America, and at one time the most popular wheat grown in California. Sonora is currently enjoying something of a resurgence among Calif artisan bakers. The article is a good comparison of three Calif wheat varietals.

I also think Sonora wheat is delicious. I haven’t used it in a while and never at 100% the flour, but here are some neat bakes to check out:

Thanks for the link. Not surprised the folks like it. I really liked the flavor of the Sonora but stopped using it because of the price. Currently, 4-lbs of California Sonora flour is $18.50. For comparison, a 50-lb bag of HRW bread flour is $20.20.

Even in the same place a wetter or drier season can affect the crop.