Tartine whole wheat levain

Has anyone made this? I’m wondering why the recipe has the additional of salt after autolyse without accompanying water (as in the slurry combo in the basic country sourdough from tartine). Is it because additional water was already added to accommodate the amount of whole wheat flour in the first mix and therefore isn’t needed when salt is added? There’s no explanation in the book and I’m trying to be learning as I’m doing…The bread has come out of the oven this morning and looks gorgeous but need to wait a few hours before tasting.

I’m responding to my own question . . . .only to say that this whole wheat from tartine was very very tasty and had gorgeous crumb…

Well. I just made my second batch of Tartine style ww artisan wild yeast. I say Tartine style because it isn’t 100% to the tee.

I did use rye for the starter Bob’s
Extended autolyse with KAF bread flour

I don’t think I stretched and folded enough.

Because the oven rise wasn’t awesome.
Gluten development was good. Maybe longer proofing would retain the shape better?
Levain time was 12 hours
Autolyse was 6 hours - before adding salt

500g I bleached KAF bread flour
200g bob WW

I did shape the loaves before resting in the linen bannetons
Maybe I should of shaped the gluten tighter - more surface tension.

I did use a lodge combo cooker, but ended up using my gas BBQ as an oven. The challenge was temp. Initially it was 500 but drops fast when lid opened. And takes a while to get back up to temp. Thank goodness the cast iron also retains heat and moisture.

I do like the flavor.

Crust did shatter and crumb very soft.

My wife bought a sourdough loaf at Whole Foods and I am not impressed. The flavor is very sour and the crumb not as moist or soft. Sure it isn’t that expense. $3.49 per loaf.
I tried to bake as a challenge for me.