• First Build 109g

Final Dough:

• Bread Flour 209g
  • Water 160g
  • Salt 8g
  • Walnuts 88g
  • Raisins 60g
  • Second Build 311g
  1. Prepare Raisin Yeast Water — 5 to 6 days before the bake, soak the raisins (organic raisins are recommended) in water. Cover and leave at warm room temperature (75-80F). White mould normally begins to cover the surface of the raisins, an indication that the liquid is ready. Once the ferment starts to actively bubble, it should be ready.
  1. Build #1 Discard the spent raisins and measure the required amount of juice, add flour and mix to incorporate. Lightly cover and leave at room temperature for 6-8 hours, until well risen. NOTE – you can keep the remaining YW to refeed and perpetuate. Give the YW another handful of raisins for food and refrigerate.

2. Build #2 Add water for second build to the first, then mix to incorporate. Incorporate the bread flour and the whole wheat flour into the mix. Lightly cover and leave to ripen for 12-14 hours until fully doomed. Note – if the room is too warn and/or humid you may retard the preferment a couple of hours or so to slow things done. The important thing to achieve is a fully risen and doomed preferment.

3. Mixing— Add all ingredients to the mixing bowl, except the walnuts and raisins. Mix until the gluten has attained moderate development. After mix in the nuts and raisins at slow speed until evenly incorporated. Desired dough temperature (DDT): 76F.

4. Bulk Ferment — Ferment at room temperature (~76-78F) for 2 ½ to 3 hours.

5. Folding — Fold the dough halfway through the bulk fermentation.

6. Dividing & Shaping — Divide, pre-shape, and shape the dough. Cover the dough to prevent drying.

7. Final Fermentation — Ferment 1 ½ - 2 hours @ 76F.

8. Baking — Slash dough and load into a preheated and steamed oven set to 450F. After 15 minutes lower oven to 430F to avoid excess darkening due to the raisins. Loaves scaled to 1 ½ pound will bake in approximately 36 minutes.

NOTES: I scaled down to 400g total flour but i’ve given you all the ingredients percentages. For this bake I used whole spelt flour and toasted the walnuts which worked very well indeed. This is a delicious recipe which is firmly part of my baking repertoire.

3 Likes

Nice looking loaf, Abe. I’m so happy that you recommended this recipe to me, as it’s become one of my favorite breads. I’ve given away a couple loaves, and have gotten requests for more. Making and using raison yeast water is just plain fun.
Richard

1 Like

Thank you Richard. I’m really glad you like it and it looks like your friends and family are enjoying it too. Yeast Water is just as fascinating as sourdough. Fully agree… It’s fun! Really interesting to see raisins sitting in water come to life (basically the beginnings of a crude wine) and then be able to make a delicious loaf out of it. Yeast Water is the underrated wild yeast bread. Not as well known as sourdough - but it should be!

I remember this bread as a really delicious loaf and one that I wanted to bake again. I think that was well over a year ago when I made it last and it is well overdue. Nicely baked Abe, up to your usual high standards.
Benny

1 Like

Thank you Benny. This really is a delicious bread. Been a regular of mine ever since I first tried it. And as Richard said it’s a fascinating process from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing your next bake. Hopefully soon!